First built computer, PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First built computer, PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a problem with my PC, it decided to shut down and now it will only go through start up for a short time before powering off. Sometimes it manages to boot up all the way and everything seems to be working. i even got into a game but then it shut down again.

The CPU is a P4 3.0 478.

I am 17, this is the first time I have built a computer and i have used all of my money.

Also the computer had been working just for for a week or 2.

Any help with this would be great.

Re: First built computer, PLEASE HELP!!!

Better post the rest of your specs if you want any help. PSU, Ram, HD, Mobo, GFX, etc.

Comment

ok sorry,

The power supply came with the case which is a powmax 702 matrix with a 450 watt PSU
      asus p4p800se 865 mobo
      P4 3.0 800fsb CPU
      2 rosewill DDR 400 pc 3200 dual channel ram
      1 120GB Samsung Hard drive
      Nvidia fx 5200
      and several fans

Comment

It would be nice if you could find the temperature for us. It could be overheating.

Go into the BIOS. This is likely done via the "delete" key of one of the "F" keys. I'd google it and tell you, just in case you don't know, but that would require premature removal of my hands from the keyboard.

Once there, you can check the voltage everything is recieving. Put the RAM at about 2.7v or 2.8v.

You can also check the temperature from the BIOS, though it may be better to do it via software in Windows.

In any case, it's quite possible your PSU simply sucks. A PSU that came in a case is likely to be of terrible quality or not be able to work at all. Even though it's 450W,which should be enough, that doesn't fix it just plain sucking. If we can't manage to find a different cause, then I'd suggest you get a new PSU.

Comment

Ok i already new it wasnt overheating. that was the first thing i checked. A friend let me try a PSU that he wasnt using and everything works fine now. I guess im just gonna buy a new PSU instead of paying for the shipping of a replacemnet PSU from powmax and have it go out again in about a month.

I was looking at an ultra x-connect 400 or 500 watt PSU. does anybody know if they are any good. i really like the x-conect concept but i dotn want to waist what little money i have on one that is just gonna go out on me again. but if these suck im gonna get an antec. i know you cant go wrong there.

Comment

Google for some reviews. I haven't read any myself, so I don't know. I would recommend Antec, otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X