Want new video card...which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want new video card...which one?

I am looking for recommendations for a new video card that will work with an older PC, a Compaq Presario model 7110US. The current video card is a 64MB SDR nVIDIA GeForce2 MX with TV-Out & I would like to replace it with something that has a little more power. I'd like to be able to play the Sims 2.

I emailed Compaq/HP support & asked them what current video cards would work with the motherboard in my PC was sent an unhelpful reply.

Do you all have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Want new video card...which one?

What motherboard does it have? DOes it support AGP 8X? If not, get an ATI 9800 PRO or even a 9700 PRO. They are cheap and will run that game no sweat. If it supports AGP 8X, look into a Nvidia 6600GT or even an ATI 9800XT. If you are on a low budget, stick to the 9700 PRO as the prices have come way down and that card will play just about anything on the market at decent settings.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
      What motherboard does it have? DOes it support AGP 8X? If not, get an ATI 9800 PRO or even a 9700 PRO. They are cheap and will run that game no sweat. If it supports AGP 8X, look into a Nvidia 6600GT or even an ATI 9800XT
      This part makes no sense. If it supports 4x, that's all that matters. A 6600GT will work just as well as a 9700/9800 on AGP 4x or 8x. There's no difference between the two, but 2x and 1x will not work. It does need to be 4x.

As for whether or not your system is AGP 4x/8x, it'd be nice if you'd list system specs or link to the specs on HP's site so we can see what it'll take.

Comment

The ONLY reason I asked if it supports 8X AGP is that if it does not, then it is probably and older computer that could not reasonably handle a video card with DDR2 or DDR3 ram, like the 9800xt/6600GT respectably. The information given was poor at best to figure out which card to pick. If it is an older system with a 1X/2X/4X AGP port, then a 9700PRO is probably the best card for the money for an old PC. IF it has an 8X AGP port, then it could probably handle the faster cards. And I agree, give your full system specs for a better opinion of which card is appropriate.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I did a search of your old pc..did not come up with anything except a bunch of question of ram upgrades to 512, and i believe that is a sign that your comp is atleast 5 generations old. I doubt your comp can even nourish a 9800 because the cpu might not even keep up. Bt like others say...give us your specs jeez.
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Working...
          X