can't get rid of windows xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get rid of windows xp

my pc is designed to run win 98 se and I foolishly loaded win xp on to it and now I want to get rid of xp but can't. It does not appear in add and remove programs, is there another way to delete it and restore 98 also in bios mode win xp will only run if i select debugging mode,if i choose another choice eg. safe mode it won't load up xp and just restarts the comp.....or should I format my c drive and if so how?My pc is a old hp vectra p3 550 ...If any one can help I would be very grateful regards ...gaz

Re: can't get rid of windows xp

To my knowledge, WinXP can not be restored from. You will need to simply reformat the hard drive and start over, installing Win98 after the format is complete. If you use an old Win98 boot disk and it tells you it can't see the drive, you installed WinXP and converted to NTFS. Win98 can not see this type of file structure so you'll have to use Fdisk to remove the partition, then creat a new one. From there you can format notmally using FAT32. If this ends up being the case and you are not familiar with using Fdisk, get a friend to help who is comfortable with this utility.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: can't get rid of windows xp

Originally posted by airraid
      my pc is designed to run win 98 se
      That is nonsense, where did you get that idea? Xp can run just fine with a pIII 550 as long as you have enough ram and hd space. You need at least a 10gb hd
      to get any practical use out of it. For ram you will need at least 256mb(not sharing with video) but would see a huge performance increase with 512mb.
      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
      asus a7n8xe-dlx
      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
      bfg 6800gt
      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
      samsung dvdrw
      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
      mushkin 550w