Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the best Memory I can get for $250.00 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the best Memory I can get for $250.00 ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227208

I have a DFI Lanparty SLI Dr, AMD Sandiego 3700+, and Antec True Power 550 EPS. I want to get My Processor to 2.8 or 3.0. I have Kingston value ram DDR400 PC 3200 and It is holding me back a little. I can get 245 x 11 at 3,3,3,8 timings wit ha 9/10 divider. But It is only somewhat stable. I am fairly new at the overclocking stuff, but I have been reading a lot. I can spend a little more, or a little less. I prefer to buy with the intention not having to overclock now(but I probaly will), but will be able too when this memory (stock) is considered slow...........

Re: Is this the best Memory I can get for $250.00 ?

Your choice of motherboard should allow for very high voltage settings. Either the OCZ VX series modules or the Mushkin Redline series modules will thrive in this board. Both use the CH-UTT chips that do well at higher than normal voltage levels. Didn't look at price for these modules, but they're both available on Newegg I believe.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I also looke at the mushkin modules. The review I read said they tend t orun hot. Is this a proble? do they perform better than the ocz and it is worth heat hassel?

Comment

They probably won't run any hotter than the OCZ models as they are using the same chips on the PCB. Plus, Mushkin has made a new heatshield for the modules that should help address this issue. At any rate, you should use some sort of active cooling on either of the brands if you jump voltages to anything higher than about 3v.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Looking at the RAM you selected, I almsot want to say it's the same thing as VX/Redlne. It doesn't have the VX in the model name like the other OCZ VX modules do, but I guess it's the same chip based on it's ratings (DDR600). What's interesting is OCZ offers three (AFAIK) different VX models: The PC3200 (DDR400), PC4000 (DDR500), and the Value VX, which will is a much bigger gameble in terms of overclockability, though I don't see it on Newegg ATM. Quite frankly, I can't see why anyone would pay more for the DDR500 or the stuff you posted, because you're almost guaranteed speeds between 530DDR and 630DDR with any of them, assuming you go past the rated 3.2V. I'd think the PC3200 should overclock the same. It's all the same chip, and the screwed up ones go to "Value" AFAIK, not PC3200 or PC4000. I'd guess that it's either a scheme, or that certain sticks just don't make it to 500MHz or 600MH at 3.2v.

And almost identical situation exists with Mushkin: Mushkin has PC3200, PC3500, and PC4000 versions of Redline. Again, they should all overclock nearly-identically to each other and to OCZ VX. The only exception is the modules with the new heatsink, as Darth mentioned. Redline and OCZ are rated for 3.2V because at 3.3V and higher they almost always need active cooling, depending on the amount of airflow in the case. Even at around 3v they can overheat. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that Mushkin's new heatsink does what it claims and cools Redline sufficiently that a case with decent airflow won't need active cooling on the RAM at all.

Comment

MY DFI Landparty only goes to a voltage of 3.2, Is there a modification I need to make to get higher voltage for overclocking the ram?
            I am like the Mushkin a little more thank the OCZ. Will either one get me to 3.0 ? Is it just a matter of personal prefference ?

I have another Question off the topic, My Antec Truepower 550 EPS is only getting 11.71 volts instead of 12v. I this normal, or is this a defective pws?

Comment

Working...
            X