Hot HDD ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot HDD ?!?!

I've got some problems with my HDD in my computer.
    When I play games the HDD the game's on gets really hot and makes it lag a lot, the problem ain't with the HDD's because i've tryed them in another computer and they didn't even break a sweat! What could be causing this?, I've never ever seen anything like it and I've tryed changing the video card! (from geforce 256 anhilator to geforce 2 MX 400...)

I've got another problem too, that is that when the computer starts up there's sometimes white lines where there's supposed to be nothing, I've changed motherboard and everything so could it possibly be the CPU or power supply causing the gfx errors in the BIOS and under startup??

Thanks in advance!
    - The guy with the problems!

---------------------------
    600MHz AMD Athlon
    192 Mb SDRAM
    Geforce 2 MX 400
    3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC
    Soundblaster Live 1024 /w Live drive II
    2GB Fujitsu MPA3035ATU HDD
    80GB Seagate Barracuda ATA IV HDD

I have the same problem with you, my harddrive are fujitsu 6 Gig and Seagate baracuda IV 20 gig. I put the barracuda HD on top of fujitsu in the case. the problem is my fujitsu hd now burned, not working, i realized thats because the heat that coming from the seagate hd on top of it. I think heat is generated because we put both harddrives in the same ide cable (master and slave), try to seperate both hd, use primary ide cable for the seagate and secondary ide cable for fujitsu, and also do stack the harddrive ( do not put the hd on top of another. and try to use harddrive cooling. ultra ata 100 do not mix with old hd.

Comment

I don't know what may be causing the heat buildup in one system and not another, but this shouldn't be anything that a good hard drive cooler can't fix for you. Some sort of active cooling is becoming more an issue than ever before for today's speedy hard drives.

As to the white lines with your video board, I'd get myself a utility like the GeForce Tweak Utility (available from http://guru3d.com ) and see what the core and memory speeds are set at. The white artifacts is a common symptom of the board being clocked a little too aggressively.

And finally, I would not recommend putting your hard drives on different IDE cables. This will cause you to be using both IDE channels for primary drives. As soon as you connect an optical drive to the mix, that hard drive's performance will plummet. Use your IDE channel #1 for both hard drives and you will get the best performance. Then put your optical device(s) on the secondary channel. But I do agree wholeheartedly with keeping some space between the two hard drives. This will help to keep both of them cooler since they won't be radiating heat towards the other one.

Good luck. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Well the thing about putting two HDD's on one IDE cable brings up a new and exiting issue... it brings up an error saying: No 80 conductor cable installed even tho it is (I've tryed changing the cables but it still doesn't work)
        Anyhow that's only happened on this "new" motherboard, I didn't have any problems with my old exept the computer freezing occasionally while playing games and some startup "gfx errors".

Comment

Originally posted by Lolleren
          Well the thing about putting two HDD's on one IDE cable brings up a new and exiting issue... it brings up an error saying: No 80 conductor cable installed even tho it is (I've tryed changing the cables but it still doesn't work)
          Anyhow that's only happened on this "new" motherboard, I didn't have any problems with my old exept the computer freezing occasionally while playing games and some startup "gfx errors".
          Check the specs on the Fujitsu, I think it is old enough that it's does not need/ support an 80 cable.
          you would be better off to transfer the contents to the big drive, and dump the Fujitsu.

Comment

Working...
          X