Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

I am playing Raven Sheild with desktop set to 1280 x 1024 @60hz. I also have the game options set to the same resolution. Is there anyway to tell what the game is really running at because the resolutions I am getting don't look anywhere like the 1280 x 1024 that it says I am at. I have the 5.7 Catalyst drivers. Any info would be a great help.

Re: Resolution problems with AIW 9800 pro

In the catalyst control panel you can set your games to the refresh rate...but i'm not sure about resolutions. Raven Sheild isn't exactly a brand new game either. If the graphics get choppier at lower resolutions then you're probably stuck with what you see. Unless they look better on another computer with the same card.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, many games -- including some first-person shooters -- gain little to no image quality from increasing the resolution. Doom 3, for example, will look about the same at 1024x768 as it will at 800x600 with anti-aliasing on. Many games will simply increase the viewable area (which can be very useful) and make everything appear smaller. This doesn't really do much with image quality. The point is, Raven Shield is probably the kind of game where you won't see a huge difference in running it at high resolutions.

Anyway, to check simply use your monitor's control panel (as in the buttons physically on the monitor) and scroll around until you find it. It will tell you what resolution and refresh rate it's running at any given time.

Also, if that's a CRT you're using, you'll want to turn the refresh rate higher and run at 1280x960. If it can't run at higher than 60Hz, then turn down the resolution and turn up the refresh rate, because anything under 72Hz on a non-LCD will damage your eyes over time, and probably irritate them, too. If it's an LCD, then refresh rate being at 60Hz is okay (though you'll want to turn vsync on in most games), and 1280x1024 is the correct resolution.

Comment

Thanks Yawg, that's really all I am interested in, getting more viewable area. If in fact I am not getting the resolution that the settings are at (and I am pretty sure I am not because everything is a lot bigger than it should be at the resolution) is there anything I can try to fix it? I have an LCD monitor.

Comment

There's no reason it should happen. If the game is set to run at that resolution and the monitor supports it, it will run at that resolution. Check on the monitor's menu as I described to make sure it's at the resolution you set it to.

Comment

Thank you Yawg. And yes, I looked at the resolution during the game and the moniter tells me that I am running 640 x 480 when the options say I am running 1280 x 1024. I have tried reinstalling the game from scratch and that does not work either. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Your monitor might be fooked. Try hooking up a different monitor. If you aren't using XP try getting new drivers for your monitor. Do any other games have the problem or is it only a problem with Raven Shield? After I shove this hot poker up my ass I'm going to chop my dick off.

(come on, someone has to know that line)

Comment

Originally posted by eat@joes
                After I shove this hot poker up my ass I'm going to chop my dick off.

No, sorry. Will you tell me, or do I have to Google it?

As for the monitor, try some Googling to see if it isn't a limitation of the game. Also try some patches for the game. Also try a different game and a different monitor, as eat@joes suggested. If you do that, you can narrow it down to either the monitor, or the game.

Comment

George Carlin. "I am the first person to ever say that!"

Comment

George Carlin is one of my favorite comics. I'm suprised I hadn't heard it before.

Comment

Yawgm0th, I agree what you say about resolutions. I run nearly all games at 1024x768 because my monitor (AOC 19") has a 100 Hz refresh rate at that resolution. If I step up to 1280x1024, the refresh drops to 85Hz, which is OK for a Windows desktop and 2D games, but a bit too much flicker for 3D gaming. Since I want framerates and not slideshows, I think 1024x768 is an acceptable compromise for speed and quality. FarCry, Half-Life2, Doom3 all run fine at that resolution.

Comment

It's none of these things that are posted. I played Rvs all the time back when (on a nvidia fx 5600 ultra) changing the res makes a large diffrence in quality. Second, I have the same problem, (I now am using an AIW x800xl) Not sure about drivers, but they are up to date. I can play the game fine, it just plays in the lowest settings and lowest resolution. It's not my monitor as it plays other games well and displays Rvs in accurate settings/resolutions on my other computer. It's simply some sort of compatibility issue with this specific game. A friend said something about Open GL and that its' an older game, blah blah blah, he also said there are probably drivers to get that can fix this, but I dont have them and am still currently searching for a fix. Im going to try OOOLLLDDDEERRR drivers and if that doesn't fix then I will just settle for the fact the my card is too new and the game is too old. *shruggs* I guess it happens. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by eat@joes
                          Your monitor might be fooked. Try hooking up a different monitor. If you aren't using XP try getting new drivers for your monitor. Do any other games have the problem or is it only a problem with Raven Shield? After I shove this hot poker up my ass I'm going to chop my dick off.

its 8:44am(just woke up),
                          i just got back up from rolling on the flooooor laffing off my chair at jo3!!!!!dude your a riot dude,rofl\lmao\lol x1,00000000000000000!!!!!what a way to wake up.
                          Stacker830 Watercooled
                          windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                          Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                          8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                          Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                          13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                          (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                          biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                          xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                          sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                          co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                          Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                          Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

***9800pro\xt(aiw) running unreal engine based games *****
                            800x600 85hz graphics hi-med, or 1024x768 75-85hz both set to hi settings everything minus lighting\shadows at med.
                            overall it will run smoother...i had 9800pro then switched when it wouldnt perform at 1280x768 hi settings in enemy terrotory(q3 engine),then it was 6800gt time knowing the id quake3 engine would take a better liking overall to it(but the ut engine is more demanding by far felt to me).cards and games are either fully compatable\partially compatiable\or simply dont run.i did a little research being i never played cs or rs on my boxes.heres what i make of your deal.i found the following facts and thought from there..

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=4

"The most significant change to the series is that Raven Shield is using the Unreal engine. If it's the same one as UT 2003 or Unreal 2, no one could say - Epic is not in the business of numbering their builds as they license out their technology. The important thing here is that this is the first Rainbow title using a licensed engine. Along with it come all the benefits of recent Unreal Engine technology, including better lighting effects, soft dynamic shadows that bend and stretch in relation to the position of light sources, and exquisitely detailed character models."

hmm its using the unreal engine,which likes to favor nvidia cards for one.the unreal engine is really shot hard at sweet crisp details,dynamic lighting,and produces bright,killer cartoonish graphics that will be demanding on most cards(espiaclally ones not set up right).with that said because i ran ut games plenty and they were beatifully put together games.graphics cards for the most part using ut engine based games are very gpu(graphics proccesing units)intensive with lesser ram requirements vs current games using havok,digital illusions engines etc.saying that i found that the pc must have nice powersupply(antec\ocz,thermaltake\comparable 350-400 watt true powr) to juice a 8 pipe minmum card for this engine to run effeintly,1 gig(2 preferred ram)with nice timings if u can tweak them.ram plays lot bigger of a role i found out threw the years,besides just having the physical speed and amount,timings make overall cpu run smoother.plz correct me if im wrong but i think the ut engine uses shader 3.0 which the 9800pro does not support?hmmmm i would try the settings i mentioned,keep us posted.
                            Last edited by bf2nut; 03-25-2006, 01:09 PM.
                            Stacker830 Watercooled
                            windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                            Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                            8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                            Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                            13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                            (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                            biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                            xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                            sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                            co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                            Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                            Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Working...
                            X