Memory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory question

I decided I wanted to build my own computer... and I'm in over my head :)

Now, some basic info, I bought an Asus P4P800S-X motherboard and bought memory the day before it would get here. I've been having trouble getting it to run and Asus thinks it's memory.. so I've been double checking my manual today and seen this. "Double-sided DDR DIMMs with x16 (data bus=16bit) memory chips are not supported due to chipset limitation.
    And now, my memory I bought is DDR400 PC3200 VData memory, a 1 gig stick of it from a local shop and I can't really find a website with information about the memory on it, the best one I found and the closest to my ram is

Now, if you enlarge the picture there, you see a stick on the left in the middle it says DDR333(2.5) 1Gx16

Now MINE says DDR400(3) 1Gx16
    Does this mean it's 16bit memory? I'm sorry if this is terribly confusing, I don't know alot about memory so I'm not sure what to tell you as for information, I'll provide whatever information I can if you need more.

Thanks VERY much for your time.

Re: Memory question

A friend pointed me here... so I'm hoping someone can help, I've never built my own computer, and not knowing much about my RAM has thrown me for a loop...

Comment

Double sided means the memory banks are on both sides of the ram. x16 means it's double sided. 8 Memory banks on each side storing 64MB each. Most ram you get now is double sided due to its larger capacity and because it's cheaper to make more smaller ones than less larger ones.

Your RAM is double sided.

Comment

meaning it is indeed not supported? :(

Comment

Hmmm, that's wierd Asus not supporting double sided ram. I did some googling and haven't really found issues about that. If you already have the RAM, try it with the board. If it doesn't work then get some single sided ram.

Comment

Originally posted by ANoland
            "Double-sided DDR DIMMs with x16 (data bus=16bit) memory chips are not supported due to chipset limitation.

That's what I found when I was looking in the motherboard user manual

**edit
            I've already tried using the RAM it.. .. ehh.. well.. I have yet to get the computer logged in and running ever.. I've talked with ASUS, they suggested RAM.. and if the information in the manual is correct.. it is my RAM it looks like..

Really.. everyone gave me different things to do, I was off and on the phone with them all evening one day, so I don't really know what to think.
            Last edited by ANoland; 09-15-2005, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Can you borrow another stick of DDR RAM from another known good system to see if your computer boots up? Maybe you have a buddy that'll let you test his RAM in your system? What about a friendly local tech that will let you borrrow (maybe with a cash security) a used stick of RAM with the understanding that if it works you'll trade the used stick in and buy some good new ram ?

Edit: keep in mind that occasionally things can go real wrong and memory chips can get fried ... even borrowed ones....
              Last edited by PrairieDawg; 09-15-2005, 09:46 PM.
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Plugged in some PC2100 memory from my old computer it and they new computer boots up just fine.. I really appreciate your help. I've been talking to the local shop owner where I bought the memory and I may be able to get it replaced (which I'd like) or a refund.

Thanks again. :)

Comment

Working...
                X