Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Video card, or bad driver, or bad ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Video card, or bad driver, or bad ???

I recently built a system using most of the components from one of the Build It projects and am having problems with it freezing while playing games or watching DVDs. I have updated all drivers and bios and have eliminated the DVD player as part of the problem, and am now concentrating on the video card and power supply. The mb is an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe and the video card is an ATI Radeon 9600. I've looked for errors in XP, DXDIAG and the AUS utilities and tested the memory, but everything checks out. Windows sometimes asks me to send a report after a freeze and it always says that a driver is at fault. I am using the driver ATI tech reps recommended. I also sent DXDIAG and MSINFO data to UBISOFT tech reps, who advised me to update drivers and experiment with startup programs. The ASUS tech site only directs me to their forums which have not been helpful. Another forum sent me here and advised me to try older ATI drivers, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Although none of the monitoring utilities are reporting power supply problems I am thinking of upgrading the power supply from the 350w that came with the Antec case. I researched the requirements of all of the components and think 350 is enough, but am willing to upgrade anyway. The Build It project used a different video card and I'll swap the 9600 too if I have to. At this point I'll do whatever I need to to get this fixed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

If anyone has a system with my video and mb, or has any advise I'd be very grateful for their advice.<o:p></o:p>

Re: Bad Video card, or bad driver, or bad ???

It's possible that it's a bad video card or driver. Is VPU recover on? Fast writes? Are you using the Control Panel or the Control Center?

That said, I wouldn't be at all suprised if your 350W PSU is the problem. Even though it's socket 754 and you have a 9600, it's still a K8 system and uses more power than a socket A system. I'd say the PSU is the first thing to try replacing if all else fails.

Comment

Re: Bad Video card, or bad driver, or bad ???

I don't know about VPU Recover or Fast Writes, but will check. I was advised by ATI to use COntrol Panel, but as that hasn't helped I'm going to open a ticket with them before I start swapping hdw. Thanks for the tip on the pwr supply, I think it should be the first hdw replacement, especially because I won't waste money with a bigger pwr supply even if it doesn't fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X