Fan Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Filters

I was argueuing with my self on whether or not to use fan filters on my fans. How much airflow do they cut off? Do they really work? I dont want to buy fan filters and end up having to go buy a can of air a week becuase they did a crappy job.

Well, it all depends on which filters you get/make....The more dust they block, the most air they also block. But with a filter that blocks like 90% of the dust out, i'm guessing you'd get about 50% of your original airflow through.

Comment

i would way up the system temp and how much trouble it really is to pull the side off and clean out you case, because even if you put fillters in you still have to clean them.

Comment

sounds like a waste of time then.

Comment

Could be?
          Probably something you need to determine for yourself.
          I use a piece of 1 of the wife's old nylons, just cut out a square and hold it in place with a rubber band.
          I haven't had any performance problems caused by heat from doing this. Yes, dust still gets into the case but from the looks of the filter when I replace it, it does keep out a lot of yuk.
          For what it's costing me; 1 old pair of nylon hose that was headed for the trashcan + 1 rubberband = sure, why not?
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

After reading this thread, I decided to experiment a little bit.

I have 2 intakes on my case: 80mm front bottom, 90mm side. Both I covered with a thin sponge, ~10mm, thicker than commercially sold "filters". The block in airflow of the 80mm was quite noticeable. I have 2 fans stacked.

The 90mm at the side blows just above the vid card, directly over the CPU area. With the filter in place, CPU temps soared around 3-4 deg idle and a whopping 8 degrees under load! Since I have no temp probe to measure case temp, I can only go by the CPU temps.

To me, a bit of dust and a fortnightly cleanout is a better price to pay than these higher case temps.
            Onyx

TweakTown
            OCAU - Overclockers Australia
            CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
              Could be?
              Probably something you need to determine for yourself.
              I use a piece of 1 of the wife's old nylons, just cut out a square and hold it in place with a rubber band.
              I haven't had any performance problems caused by heat from doing this. Yes, dust still gets into the case but from the looks of the filter when I replace it, it does keep out a lot of yuk.
              For what it's costing me; 1 old pair of nylon hose that was headed for the trashcan + 1 rubberband = sure, why not?
              nice...ill give it a shot.

Comment

it depends alot on wat kind of air-filter u get....but generally all the commercila ones will block out 90-95% of your dust....and block about 30-40% of your airflow.....this also increases as the filter gets clogged up with dust!:afro:

Comment

also, cleaning out your case every few months is no big deal anyway....u can wipe most of the dust of your components (carefully) with your fingers....if u have a vacuum cleaner that has a blow function...most modern ones do....u can use that as well....:afro:

Comment

Originally posted by chisholm
                    if u have a vacuum cleaner that has a blow function...most modern ones do....u can use that as well....:afro:

Vacuum cleaners can generate a lot of static, so be sure to ground yourself well wings:

I just use a paintbrush for most of my cleaning :)
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I use an ANTI-atatic paint brush:p

Comment

wouldn't the static generated by your vacuum onli be a problem if u actually touched your components with it?

Comment

well.... they could actually get "zapped" from a short distance, not touching, but close....the best way to clean computer components/hardware/filters is with a can of compressed air or similar non flamible gas.... :D

Comment

kool! does that mean u can use an asthma puffer to clean your computer?:p
                            :afro:

Comment

haha well, maybe, but you'd be much better of with a can of "Jet propelled Non-Flamible Gas" from Dickies .....(Dick Smith, duh!) which will set you back about $15... :D

Comment

Working...
                              X