Did I break it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I break it?

I think I may have broke a dimm slot on my new epox 8kha+ mobo. I will make no excuses. but I inserted my ram backwards into the slot closest to my cpu. The mobo would not even pwr up. so after much troubleshooting I found my error and turned it around. the board powered up but gave me an error code for bad memory. I then placed the ddr into the far right slot and it boots up into the bios as it should. No aparent faults. Did I have the memmory in the wrong slot as well as backwards? My slots are not numbered and I assumed that #1 was the one closest to the cpu. Could it be that #1 is the one farthest from the cpu and the only fall out from this is giving you folks a good laugh?

usually it doesn't matter which slot you put your ram in, it works reguardless. However your Mobo might be an exception.

I'd get a torch and have a good look at the slot you shoved the ram into, see if u can see any bent pins etc.
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

ok, I tried your torch Idea and I find that it was a good idea. there was a piece of plastic in the slot from I dont know where. Also I found the markings for slot 1, which was in the first slot I tried. My memory is now in the correct slot but I keep getting A post code of FF. I looked it up and it says Boot Attempt (INT 19h). Anyone out there running an epoc board have any idea what that means. I personally think that the code means very little since all I have connected is my 20g hard drive(unformatted), a suspect floppy from the dark ages, and my pine mx400 agp video card. What do you guys think?

Comment

oops!!

Comment

Its always best to put your ram in dimm one becuase it'll end up searching through all the slots just to get to your ram...even though this is all done in nano seconds and its astronomically impossible to tell a difference no matter how hard you tried...its still time and that's what matters...another thing you should always put the largest stick of ram in the first slot then the lower stick as you count outward....my board is the 8kha+ and FF means boot attempt as you previously mentioned I'm not sure as to what it means...however my only possible guess is that its booting the system? Right now as I write this post my board has FF...I guess it means its booted? Other then that I don't know for sure

Comment

I have an EpoX 8k7a+ and the "FF" is the normal state if all is well. If something is wrong, it will usually stop on some other code during boot up. I don't imagine that it would be drastically different for 8kha boards.

Anyway :cheers:
            Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

the slot closest to the cpu is always the #1 slot you got lucky you didn't destroy the memory and the board.i think they should have made a different kind of slots on the memory the one slot is kinda difficult to master after you get used to memory with two notches.

Comment

i agree, you are lucky if your system is up and going (FF is normal state as said), then u should be thanking the hardware gods u hadnt fried ya mobo and ram, as is the norm with backwards ram..

can i ask this tho - you never stopped and double-checked after u had to use all that great force to insert the ram, u didnt think maybe there was somefin wrong then?

its definately not a design flaw that allows these mistakes... (btw i dont mean a personal dig at anyone if it soundds that way)

Comment

No offense taken even though I do deserve it. Believe it or not there was not really that much force required to achieve insertion. It went in rather well and each time the comp wouldnt boot up I would press on the ram to make sure that it was seated properly. Sounds bad, I know. Anyway, I still dont have it running. After inserting all my hardware it takes about 3minutes to recognize my ide devices HD and CDrom. This all started after I added 2 fans powered by my mobo and added the Cdrom. Now my comp wont detect my hard drive. I think I messed up some settings in the bios. After adding the cdrom I went in and just to see what would happen I selected detect hard drive on my cdrom which is my secondary ide master. That is all I did. So anyway. This is my first attempt at building a comp, so mistakes are bound to be made.

Comment

I'm gonna make you feel right at home. Back in septempber I built my computer with the FIC AD11. This was the first time I had used DDR EVER. I was always used to SDR. Well guess what...I put my ram in backwards. Nothing booted up, then I started having problems with the board like quake 3 would lock up with gl extensions turned on, 3dmark2001 would lock up half way. Sometimes when just using the computer and surfing the web my computer would go into a BSOD with a memory stack overflow. heh I thought it was my ram. But oh well, I know better now, I hope.

Comment

Sounds like you have a flimsy PSU

best to get those fans off the mobo connectors to start with...

how about you post the FULL specs of the system you are building?

Comment

Ok, here is what I have so far installed. epox 8kha+, ddr 2100 crucial memory(256M), Pine mx400 nvidia video, Duron 1000M(until I can afford more), 20 G Westerm digital, and a 52x creative labs cdrom. Oh yeah, and a 350W generic psu.
                        I really think that the fans are trash. I just wasted good money on enermax fans. It wont happen again.
                        Another thing, I am not impressed with ball bearing fans either. They may last a little longer but they tend to cost a little more and they are much louder then the sleaved fans. So, bottom line is dont buy gimicky fans, stick with the cheap, quiter, and slightly less durable sleaved fans.
                        Anyway, Just my opinion.

Comment

That's partly true...I have a delta 38 on my CPU...OMG don't even begin to ask...this thing literally sounds like a hair dryer on the low setting...NO JOKE.....but I have a bunch of fans surrounding it so it kind of get's muffled but still loud...I got used to it however...anyway...your partly right about the ball bearing vs sleeve, I'd rather pay an extra buck or two to get higher quality and have my fan still spinning while I'm trying to sleep instead of waking up the next morning with a dead CPU you know what I mean? How much of a price difference is it anyway? I've seen HSF's for my old K6/2 that were ball bearing for like a dollar and I've seen athlon/duron heatsinks for like 8 dollars volcano 2? heh well that's ball bearing I think...

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT

best to get those fans off the mobo connectors to start with...
                            This is very important. I can tell you from experience that using the fan headers for fans that draw any kind of real current will screw the board up... even before it burns out the headers. The problems that I started seeing first was that I would get errors when trying to use my DVD and CDRW. Even with plain cds or music cd, I would get the BSOD EVERYTIME before I finally killed the headers. I thought that they were just crap, but when I realized what I done I replaced the MB. After that everything was fine and no more BSOD. I am still using the same DVD and CDRW today.

JM:afro:
                            Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Ok, I took your advice and removed the fans. I got problems though. When I originally added the fans I also added a cdrom. I dont know whether the fans or the adding of the cdrom caused my issue but here is the problem. It takes 3 minutes to post to my bios. Also when I look I see that the primary ide of my 2nd ide is the cdrom(master). However the comp dumped my hard drive and says that my 1st Ide primary is none. nothing will make it see my hard drive. If I remove the cdrom and add my hard drive as master and the cdrom as slave on the same Ide they show up together as hard drive primary master and cdrom secondary slave. This is good but my comp loses the hard drive anytime I plug the cdrom into the 2nd ide, regardless of configuration.
                              I guess this is not a problem but if I add a cd/rw or something I will need that other Ide port working. Could simply be operator error though.
                              Another thing who decided the standard length of ide cables anyway. The guy should be shot for making the cables so short. My comp building will be on hold until I can find a cable longer than the standard 18inches.

Comment

Working...
                              X