Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving a Legacy

Ready for a story?

I've been shopping for a new computer for 3 years now (I'm the indecisive type), and I've always wanted one of those all-in-one mobos, with at least good audio, LAN, RAID, and maybe a little extra stuff. Not graphics, though, I can buy my own AGP card.

Until about a week ago, I would have gone with the Soyo K7V-Dragon Plus, which seemed like a great board. Unfortunately, it runs on the KT266A, which is getting older every minute. And there's apparently no sign of an update.

So, I switched my choice to the Abit AT7. It seems like a great board, exactly what I want, and the bragging rights can't be beat. However, I'm worried about the so-called "legacy-free" features.

I was planning on getting one of those 2x20char LCD boards for one of my drive bays, but the only ones I've seen plug into serial or parallel ports. And, I have a TI Graphlink (hooks a calculator to the computer).

This poses an additional problem, as I really need the Graphlink for school. Right now, it's plugged into a 486DX2 I use only for playing solitaire, but that computer will be out if I get a new one. My current P2-350 was completely screwed up by Verizon DSL (i'm back to my cable modem now!), so it now only has a COM5 port.

Anyway, the point of my little anecdote is this: are there any cheap Serial I/O PCI cards available, and do they work better than/as good as an onboard slot?

I just put 2 com port boards into a computer (for a total of 6 com ports) at work with no problem, win2k picked em up with no problems what so ever.

However they weren't cheap ($95 AUS)
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Hmm. If you don't intend to overclock, Abit's NV7-133R has given me no trouble thus far (do get the latest BIOS to fix the CPU temp reporting waaay too high). I wouldn't ditch legacy just yet.
      It's got on-board LAN, HighPoint ATA133 RAID, 4x USB 1.1, 2x USB 2.0 (expandable to 4), and on-board 5.1 channel surrond. It also has your legacy ports too.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't really takn a look at any of the newer nForce boards since the KT333 came out.

Can you successfully run PC2700 memory on the NV7-133R? If so, it seems like a great choice, considering I was never uch of an overclocker.

Comment

Working...
        X