Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gf4mx440 and VIA chipsets

whats the go?

just purchased a ASUS Geforce 4 mx 440 for my Gigabyte GA-6vtxe motherboard...

doesnt post, just gives video error beeps..

The video card works in a pentium4 system intel based motherboard but just not this via one?

anyone have any ideas?

Let's start with the simple stuff first... Is the video card seated in the AGP slot properly?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Hmmmmm i duno, is it something to do with AGP 4x or something? Check your motherboard manual and see if it supports AGP 4X cus i wud think ur new card wud need or at least want it.

Comment

OK two things I have found in the past:

1) ASUS video cards suck a lot of power through the AGP slot.

2) Gigabyte motherboards usually have weak power regulators for the AGP slot, reducing the amount of juice that is supplied to the AGP card.

3) Put the two above points together and you have the problem you described.

Don't blame the VIA chipset, it's most likely Gigabyte's implementation. Try it in another VIA board if you can and see if the problem replicates itself :)
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

The VIA chipset don't work well with SOME Geforcebased cards, for example some of the older gf2 cards had some problems with this. Don't really know about gf4 but now you know...
          Remember, 99,9% of all graphicscards on the market is tested on motherboards with intelchipsets.
          So on VIA based motherboards, Amd or Intel you can not be 100% garuanteed that your graphicscard is going to work,
          same thing with memorysticks as well...

Comment

Working...
          X