Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with cpu speed

Hi I have a HP Pavilion 8760c
    it's a P3 733 Mhz, and I really need help just to change this number to 800mhz to meet a game requirement. It might be very hard because I'm a computer noob even though I owned this machine for 5 years. My motherboard doesn't have a jumper, and nothing is mentioned about changing any frequency in BIOS so I guess I can't overclock. Is there a way to just to fake the cpu speed so I can install the game?(the game detects and prevents me to start the game) Just 66 mhz off I really don't want to risk changing a cpu for such a old machine. Thanks for any suggestion

Re: Need help with cpu speed

You can't and even if you could overclock, the min. specs on games mean that the game can run, but the game itself would be unplayable.

Comment

save up and by a new computer. you have the computer for 5 years!! i think its time for an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos2003
        You can't and even if you could overclock, the min. specs on games mean that the game can run, but the game itself would be unplayable.
        Usually.

Honestly, that machine is so obsolete that it's just not worth messing with. It really is time to replace it.

Comment

What game...just curious.

But go here... http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

and Email Abo if your MB is not supported. He is really cool in helping people trying to figure out how to OC. He tried several times with my Dell XPS gen2 with no success, but he did help someone else get some good OCs on a previously unsupported setup.

You should have no problems getting 800 out of a 733 even with stock cooling.

Comment

Yeah I think I should get a new one but I'm just a student with both parent unemployed :( Anyways I could play almost any online game with this machine like WOW, Guildwar, and even HL2 with not much lag. So I believe I can run this game, RYL, with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by matm347
              What game...just curious.

But go here... http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

and Email Abo if your MB is not supported. He is really cool in helping people trying to figure out how to OC. He tried several times with my Dell XPS gen2 with no success, but he did help someone else get some good OCs on a previously unsupported setup.

You should have no problems getting 800 out of a 733 even with stock cooling.
              Can those programs really overclock my VIA pro 133A? I have limited knowledge on overclocking. What is and where can i find my clock generator? btw thanx for telling me this, i hope i could overclock

Comment

Guildwars and Half-Life 2 require very little CPU power, and rely more on your graphics card. I'd guess that game has some serious CPU needs if the installer forces you to use an 800MHz CPU or better.

Originally posted by koflmf2003
                Can those programs really overclock my VIA pro 133A? I have limited knowledge on overclocking. What is and where can i find my clock generator? btw thanx for telling me this, i hope i could overclock
                Try this one for your board. You can find the clock generator by looking at the motherboard for a certain chip. I remember I did this some time ago when I was looking into overclocking my Gateway.
                Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-11-2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I think mine is VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
                  it's changed by HP though, it has a onboard video card Nvidia TNT2 16mb and no jumpers. How does these overclocking program works?

Comment

wow i bought a m390n and i learned how to build computers and how to refromat and do all this crap but my processor kind of sucks for over clocking i have a p4 3.2 ghz HT and it said my max oc speeds can only go up to 3600 in ASUS probe i have surpassd those speeds but my computer just restarts sometimes out of no where but i dont get why the temps for the cpu is still aroun 105 stable at those speeds. the reason iam asking this is because my friend has a 2.8 ghz HT and hes oc it to 3.6 ghz no problem. plz give me some ideas of what to do
                    heres my comp specs]
                    p4 3.2 ghz HT oc 3.6
                    patriot ram 2.3.2.5 cas rating 1 gb
                    x800xl graphics
                    200 gig hard drive 7200 not sata

Comment

What core?

Comment

There are so many reasons why you could be having issues overclocking that thing. You need to list some specific settings, mostly what Vcore and Vdimm you are running and at what timings you have the ram set.

As for that old P3, you should just look on Ebay for an 800MHz CPU. They are certainly cheap enough and that motherboard should self detect it and run it. Just make sure you know what socket it is, it will be either Slot 1 or Socket370 and you also need to know what FSB (Front Side Bus) frequency it uses, it would either be 100MHz or 133MHz. THose specifications are on the CPU itself. If you look inside your PC and there is a square heatsink with a fan mounted to the motherboard, it is Socket 370. If it is a large black cartridge with a fan mounted on the side, it is Slot 1. Slot 1 CPUs have the specifications written on the top of them around where it says Pentium III. Socket 370 CPUs have the specifications written on the CPU itself and you would need to take the heatsink/fan off. If you do not know how to do this, have someone that does help you. I also suggest upgrading the whole PC, but you could just change the CPU for now. Overclocking it is next to impossible. You would need an aftermarket motherboard just to get some decent options to do that.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate
                        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by koflmf2003
                          These programs can and do work, but many are so motherboard specific that it's hard to find one that will work with your hardware. Try what was suggested and if doesn't work, Email at the link I gave you, he will ask what error you get when it doesn't work and will use that info to create one that will if at all possible.

Just be careful when using these programs, it is easy to go too far as some use sliders, I would suggest getting to where you need(800) and no more with stock cooling.

Comment

hey if u want to find out more about your pc and specs go to everest(website down below) and download it.You dont have to install just open the file and it gives you everything the only problem is they dicontinued the home addition one but u can use the ultamite edition trial one the trial give you like everything except for some specs
                            here is the website:

Comment

thx guys for telling me this, and I did emailed abo for help by he just told me that these programs are for power users, not for beginner like me. I think I would just stick with it. Thanks again for everything

Comment

Working...
                              X