raid 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raid 0

i just got this new sata hard drive and my friend told me to raid 0 it. WTF?! does that mean. is it like overclocking your hard drive to get more rpm? please help.

Re: raid 0

It is simply a means to connect two hard drives together and fool the system into thinking it is a single drive of a size equal to both the drives. The two drives used to have to be the same size, but the new JBOD standard allows otherwise. It also allows the data to be written to both drives at the same time, enhancing performance.

This is very basic, but gives you an idea what RAID is. BTW... the acronym stands for "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives". Older gurus will remember the I as meaning "Independent", but this has changed with the advent of cheap hard drives.

There are benefits and disadvantages to it, but you'd do better doing a Google search for more in depth discussion.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

so if i have a 74gb raptor and another sata, then i both of those hard drive will have 10,000rpm?

Comment

They have to be the same hdd as far as i know.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by eXTasY
          so if i have a 74gb raptor and another sata, then i both of those hard drive will have 10,000rpm?
          Nope. Even if you mixed hard drives (which you don't want to), they would have to be the same size and speed. There aren't any other 74GB hard drives that I know of, and there are only two other hard drives that have spindle rates of 10,000RPM. If you want RAID 0 (and I wouldn't suggest it), you'll need two identical drives (or at least two drives of the same spindle rate, capacity, and cache size).

Comment

RAID 0 really isn't RAID...as there is no (R)edundancy. Basically you spit the info onto both (in this case) drives, meaning part of the file is on HDD1 and the other part is on HDD2. In theory this should almost double HDD performance. In the real world you might see a 25% increase at most in some apps. Gaming will not see much of a difference with just 2 drives, maybe a few seconds here and there with different game's loading times. The main benefit for putting two raptors in RAID 0 would be the size increase, your two 74 gigs will be ~140 gigs.

I currently have 3 74s in RAID 0 didicated to games. While I am usually the first person in a level while playing online, and and get about a 30 second head start on 3/4 of the players... I got more of a loading time decrease by getting more RAM (1 to 2 gigs).

Comment

Working...
            X