Samba Troubles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samba Troubles...

ok, i unzipped Samba into /home/leigh/samba-2.2.3a and im trying to install it this way (how it says in the documentation)

Quote from Documentation:
    To do this, first run the program ./configure in the source directory. This should automatically configure Samba for your operating system. If you have unusual needs then you may wish to run

root# ./configure --help

first to see what special options you can enable. Then executing

root# make

i don't have unusual needs so i just goto the source/ dir in the samba folder and go ./configure

but when i do, it spits this back :(:

Loading Cache ./config.cache
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

any ideas? :(
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Yes, you need to install the -dev rpm's, including GCC (Gnu C Compiler).
    p-two.net

Comment

where abouts could i get them from?

Comment

They'll be on the drake cd's, just start up rpmdrake and have a look at the not-installed section fot devel rpm's.
        p-two.net

Comment

ive actually given Red Hat a go atm, i got some errors while trying to install mdrake and didn't want to bother people on here with trying to work out the errors...i might try reinstalling it later and write down the errors then...

Comment

hahah redhat... good fukn luck...

y did you do that? you have a copy of slack ffs

and besides, u can never seem to compile anything with redhat regardless of its version... it just seems permanantly retarded.
            SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
            Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

yeah i have a copy of slackware i know, but i don't know enuf about linux to have to configure absolutely everything from scratch...now after playing around with redhat for a little while i know where the files for a few things are, so i might make the change to slackware now because samba is ****ing ****ting me under redhat!!! :mad:

tis gonna be fun trying to get X going again in slackware tho!!

wellllll...onto Slackware methinks...

Comment

Onward and upward!
                Best of luck to you Grim:thumb:
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I have been able to get a very basic setup of samba (client and server) to work with redhat 7.1 and I was able to create a share that windoze pc's could access and I could access windoze shares from the linux box. Although I do agree with silencer that Redhat doesn't like compiling it rathers RPM's kinda anti-open source in a way but I guess it keeps there distribution easy to support and teach.
                  If ya do need any more help getting samba going on redhat in the future give me a yell or something similar :P

My 2 cents worth :)

Comment

Working...
                  X