Gathering converts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gathering converts

I have convinced and converted 3 mates to linux in the past week....one who even had access to all the latest M$ stuff from work for nothing..........they were amazed how good it looked and performed (Lycoris) and just how stable it is........without all the vulnerabilities, patches, nick nacks and doodads that seem to be needed to keep M$ afloat......

Cool...your next assignment is to get little jonny and his cronies using it as well :-)
    p-two.net

Comment

Hey Oldbugger! How do you like Lycoris? I've been going to the Kalamazoo Linux Users group, and they have download Linux versions available, and one is Lycoris, and I think for $3.00 per CD.

I'm in here from Mandrake 8.2 running Galeon 1.0.3 version that came with the 3 CD download set I got from KLUG (above). cost me 9 bucks. I get a funny error?? when it is booting up saying this in effect: SIOCADDRT network is unreachable.

Anybody have a clue what that means?

I've seen some web sites sporting the Ximinian things (I'm sure I butchered that name REAL good! LOL). I've wondered about downloading it sometime. Like when I have 12 hours with nothing for my computer to do.. *G*

Also, Bern if you read this, what reason would you have for going into /usr/share/config/kdm/and editing the "kdmrc file to read int the [Xdmcp]
      Enable=false to
      Enable=true

?? Saw that posted on the web site for Cygine/XFree86 frequently asked questiong. Was just wondering what setting that to "true" would do.

Cheers!
      your winemaking and grape growing buddy in chilly Michigan, USA!

Comment

bah, i tried mandrake 8.2 i didn't like it, like i can keep using it day in, day out, but i still wouldn't like it...
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I dunno' I'm using 3 browsers and still can't load a basic java applet?
          I think maybe SuSE is a broken distro - on top of my being a complete idiot.

As long as I stick to Windows for internet functions I guess I'm OK?

Damn! I wanted an alternative to Windows badly, but I am being forced to return there against my will.

This blows! I really want a complete alternative, not a Linux local system and a Windows net appliance :(
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Frost
            [B]
            Also, Bern if you read this, what reason would you have for going into /usr/share/config/kdm/and editing the "kdmrc file to read int the [Xdmcp]
            Enable=false to
            Enable=true

?? Saw that posted on the web site for Cygine/XFree86 frequently asked questiong. Was just wondering what setting that to "true" would do.
            I don't have /usr/share/config/kdm because slack installs kde and gnome to /opt where they belong. :)
            In my /opt/kde/share/config/kdm it's set to false....I think I might have a look into this and get back to you on it :D
            [Edit]: Here you go, this should explain all about Xdmcp,
            p-two.net

Comment

Lycoris works straight out of the box....no fiddling no tweaking required.......It looks and feels like winXP but without the need for the patches etc etc....on the initial install my cdrw worked....i could watch vcd/dvd, ....the video card was correctly installed and upgraded with the Nvidia drivers (after), the sound and printer worked without trouble at all. MrC....try Lycoris and don't go back to the "Dark Side"....although you might have to pay $US30 for it it is worth it.....it all works.....I just wish the other distros were as easy....it would save a lot of user effort and give Linux much wider appeal.......it really is GOOD.

Comment

Thats the good thing about linux, there is a flavour available for everyone :D
                p-two.net

Comment

I agree....you can do what YOU want with it...for newbs though you like to get it up and running OK before you have to tinker.....not tinker just to make it work......that is the good point about Lycoris.....I'm having a great time tinkering away now....even got yhe camera to work using Wine (a bit flakey)....now that Wine2 is out I might just subscribe.........I tell you though it feels really good to be free of the M$ trap..

Comment

I haven't exactly stormed the fortress here, but I'm hanging in there.

I know I've got a long way to go, and still want to try some more with the browsers I have. I've been letting it get the better of me at times though.

May be it's time to go back to square 1 and start over?

I've got a disc of Redhat 7.1 but that is shelved, as I'm sure SuSE has more to offer if I can figure out how to unleash the rascal.

Ah well, it was a mixture of curiosity, stubborness, a bit of reading, and some good websites that got me soaring with Windows. I intend to apply the same technique to Linux, and in time I'm sure I'll be functioning. I tend to hurry the process perhaps:?:

nah, gotta' learn it all today! :D
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I had some initial fits and problems, mostly with the 8.1 version of Mandrake. But, I had tweaked and did soooo much to 8.2 version, that it was comming up with many errors, network, sound, etc. So... tonight I formated and reinstalled 8.1 and then upgrade to 8.2 before I even set foot inside of KDE! Sound is now working right, my KMail I configured right off the bat, and the browsers are working right, even have java. But, this time I had done a little more "educated" input when it asked for things in the initial install. Seems to have made a great difference.

There's a Linux users group near wher I live, called KLUG for "Kalamazoo Linux User's Group". It is on the verge of being the most active users group in the USA. I got my 8.2 distros from fthem for 3.00 ea

chhttp://www.msnbc.com/news/737744.asp?cp1=1 X 3 cd's. They have a high speed internet and download a lot of things. They also have http://www.msnbc.com/news/737744.asp?cp1=1Lycoris available, and might try it as well. Brhttp://www.msnbc.com/news/737744.asp?cp1=1uce Smith, the main man for knowing Linux there, sent me a llink to a MSN article on Lycoris, also known as "Redmond" . I'm including it here for you all to look at ..especially Mr. C.

Cheers!

So, I've got a little to learn about cut and paste!! ROFL!

Comment

ok... I browse using Galeon... I set up and use KMail, and I like that. I like Galeon, however, when I click on a link to write someone an e-mail, it set me up with "enlightment" e-mail server, that doesn't seem to work right. It has the setting for POP and STMP, username, etc, but didn't see where I input my password, and consequently it doesn't work. How do I set it up so that ONLY KMail is the default e-mail handler? Is this done in the KDE desktop or configurations?

Also I like Galeon, but if I click on a link to "go" somewhere as a link, I get Konqueror that pops up and not Galeon. Can I set Galeon to be the default web browser of choice?

Getting Mandrake 8.2 to work reasonably well. I've been able to do just about anything I can do in Linux as I did in Windows XP.. not qujite everything, but a lot.

I have a program that sets in my taskbar in Windows XP called SOHO Stats. It resided there and lets me connect or disconnect my internet connection via LAN through my web beetle. I know there is no way to use that program here in Linux, but is there an alternative way to send a "disconnect" signal to my LAN gateway, the web beetle to disconnect from the internet, rather than just turning off the external modem?

Thanks a heap guys!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X