No announcement yet.

Thermal material on hsf? Should i take it off....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal material on hsf? Should i take it off....

and put the goop stuff on it? If so,how do I take it off good? Will fingernail polish remover work?

I got some circuitworks silver conductive grease goop....will that work? Or do i need some special stuff? Oh and how much should I use on the chip? How do I do it good ;)

:)

Actually I use a plastic knife for removing the majority of it the the nail polish remover. ;)
    I havn't heard of Circuitworks silver conductive grease so I can't say but an Arctic product is good but just remember that silver products are electrically conductive also so make sure that none of it gets on circuits or bridges but Arctic Alumina seems to be the best stuff on the market now and it's not electrically conductive. :thumb:
    <center></center>

Comment

Crap I got some generic stuff? Now im paranoid about using it as this will be the first processor ive ever installed. Any idea where i can find some of that stuff in the states?

Oh and how much should I use on it? just cover the whole chip...how deep...does it matter if it oozes off the chip a lil bit? I dont even know if it will ooze Ive never seen it in action.

Thanks

Comment

Well that stuff should be ok and just use enough to give the core a very thin coating. Check the pic out below and keep the paste inside the red square plus using a business or credit card will give ya an even spread. ;)
        <center></center>
        <center></center>

Comment

I just ordered two tubes of artic silver from umaxpc.com They were $8.75/tube. I am not sure if you can get it cheaper, but umax is a good company.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick East
            Crap I got some generic stuff? Now im paranoid about using it as this will be the first processor ive ever installed. Any idea where i can find some of that stuff in the states?

Oh and how much should I use on it? just cover the whole chip...how deep...does it matter if it oozes off the chip a lil bit? I dont even know if it will ooze Ive never seen it in action.

Thanks
            If ya can't get AA go for AS2.........with cpu upgrades.......leap when your confident........to quick to leap fries processors. Since we're dealing with "unknow material" it better to get some good stuff......GL

Comment

OH CRAP now i gotta take my hsf off and make sure i did not get any ASII all over.. doh!
              :eek:

Comment

Cut out a shim template with a playing cards, so that you trowel a playing card thickness of compound on to cpu. I usre the ye ol'e pinkie to apply, a razor knife to level, and a peice of scrap card to sweep excees on to & cut the exess off. Alcohol and Q-tips for any excess missed. AA & AS2 is worth about 4c', over regular compound. Center the hs ,on the shim, don't clip yet, remove hs and check for a good, neat foot print of compound on the hs, only enough to cover the chip. Touchup if necessary. Install hs and clip.

There are other methods.....but thats one that works for me.

ps- check hs manifactures recommendation for the proper shim on the cpu you are using. XP and Bird shimms differ. Orb's typically don't recommend shims.

Comment

Alumina ain't much cheaper than ASII. It comes in a much smaller tube, and it's supposed to be entry level, but per gram, it costs more than the ASII!
                  Onyx

TweakTown
                  OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                  CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

I'm glad with my AC!

Comment

Originally posted by Onyx
                      Alumina ain't much cheaper than ASII. It comes in a much smaller tube, and it's supposed to be entry level, but per gram, it costs more than the ASII!
                      But their cheaper than a new processor.

Comment

The Arctic Alumina also covers more area with less being used because of it's different viscosity compared to the Silver. ;)
                        <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                          The Arctic Alumina also covers more area with less being used because of it's different viscosity compared to the Silver. ;)
                          <center></center>
                          Have to try it next time......be a bit, got the jumbo tube of quick silver, last time.......figure ya know this one. Its cheaper, with similar characteristics + better cooling benifits during the inital fireup......according to the reveiw.... Seams to do the trip, well.....

Comment

I have AS II, as well. According to their web site, one tube will cover 20-30 cores. So it will be a while before I use it up. :D

I feel like such a snob sometimes, when I buy something with a thermal material already on it, I immediately remove it. It's like its not good enough to be in my box. Of course it isn't good enough, but that's not the point. It just makes me laugh, sometimes when I think about it. :p

JM
                            Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

:eek: :hammer: , another tweaker trueism has been spoken.

Comment

Working...
                              X