What's a netzero alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a netzero alternative?

Netzero and Juno are the same company right? What's a good free dial-up I can sign up for that doesn't require the installation of netzero-like interface? I know with earthlink, I use the built-in winxp dial-up screen and just punch in my login info and a number to dial. So simple and doesn't take up any screen real-estate.

Re: What's a netzero alternative?

Originally posted by erwin1978
    Netzero and Juno are the same company right? What's a good free dial-up I can sign up for that doesn't require the installation of netzero-like interface? I know with earthlink, I use the built-in winxp dial-up screen and just punch in my login info and a number to dial. So simple and doesn't take up any screen real-estate.
    You could do a Google search for free ISP's and search for whats free in your area. In my opinion its worth $25 per month for high speed internet, plus there is no software\spyware to install.
    If you really want to be a cheap skate you could use a wireless ethernet card and see if there are any unsecure highspeed connections near enough for you to use. Nowdays thats a likely possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
      You could do a Google search for free ISP's and search for whats free in your area. In my opinion its worth $25 per month for high speed internet, plus there is no software\spyware to install.
      If you really want to be a cheap skate you could use a wireless ethernet card and see if there are any unsecure highspeed connections near enough for you to use. Nowdays thats a likely possibility.
      What are you using for $25? It seems Comcast is the only one in my neighborhood and they are $42 ($32 with 6 month special) for internet as long as you get cable TV too.

Any options I am missing or not looking into? Don't want DSL btw.

Comment

SBC..err At&t will soon be offering DSL over a dry pair(no dial tone). DSL is cheaper and more consistent (better for online gaming), and can be faster if you are close enough (and want to pay more) why don't you want it? I've had it going on 4 years and my only problems were caused by a squirrel!
        IPTV will also be coming out, which will bring fiber closer to the house(and to the house in new neighborhoods).

My bud did the cable deal, 29 for 6 months and since there was no contract he called them up to cancel around the 5th month due to the higher price after the 6 months, but they ended up giving him another 6 months at 29, he did this for 3 years, he ended up moving.

Comment

Originally posted by JStudrawa
          What are you using for $25? It seems Comcast is the only one in my neighborhood and they are $42 ($32 with 6 month special) for internet as long as you get cable TV too.

Any options I am missing or not looking into? Don't want DSL btw.
          I use Midco cable internet. It would cost $10 more a month if I rented a cable modem from my cable service but that would be rediculous considering the low cost of cable modems. Maybe thats why yours is so $pendy. I beleive there is an option to upgrade to higher speed cable access at a cost but what I have seems better than most anyway so I've stuck with this for many years and haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.
          There is only one other practical high speed internet option in my area due to a cable TV monopoly owned by our cable company and that is DSL. I beleive its about the same price, maybe a little less compared to cable in my area and its only good if you live close to the source as matm347 said, they have expanded here so now they cover much more of the area than what they did 2 years ago, infact it just became an option to me less than a year ago. It's the local phone companies way to compete with cable in my area after they lured most of the phone companies busness away from them a few years back with package deals on mutiple services.
          Last edited by Spongebob; 02-22-2006, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X