Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Ford Ranger check engine light does not come on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Ford Ranger check engine light does not come on!

My check engine light has been on for 2 years now! Then about 2 weeks ago it went off. Looking futher I noticed that all the caution lights on the lower right do not come on when I turn the key on. This is an automatic failure for the state inspection in North Carolina. Does anyone know what I can do or check without having to remove my dashboard! I did this once before to change the heater coil and found out it is no fun! Thanks For Your Help!
    Last edited by goodguy40; 02-25-2006, 07:49 AM.

Re: 1996 Ford Ranger check engine light does not come on!

it might be a loose connection at the plug connector for the dash.
    also the circuit board has been know to crack and lose power to whatever is down line from the crack
    I would try and see if you can reach the plug and make sure it is seated fully. and tap around behind the dash to see if the lights come back on... one more possibility.. check all the fuses under the dash to be sure none are blown.

Comment

Here is a complete instrument cluster for bid or you can buy it outright, not a bad price or s/h charge on e-bay. It is item number 8041557320. Sounds to me like you going to have to take the darn apart again. I've went through that and I know it's not any fun. I think this would be the less of two evils. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

I would suggest that you have the error codes read with a code reader. Ihave found that the ck engene light normally is caused by a oxegen sensor, or the sensor that comes from the charcoal canistor to the intake, there is a small one in the line and it has been known to get intermenit at times .
        but the cluster going off my be just a poor connection, so I think you may have two differant problems here.
        I had the same problem with my 97 ranger.

Comment

Working...
        X