PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt older computer, very strange boot-up problem, help!

o0Brandnewcolony
02-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Hello!

I just purchased a new computer for my girlfriend, and having built 2 or 3 computers on my own, I decided to put it in her old case like she wanted and move over the good components.

However, once I moved it over, all seemed OK. This motherboard came from a HP pre-built computer, and the only thing different about it is it uses her HD now, would that cause some problems?

Whenever I boot up, POST checks out OK, and then when it blacks out for a second, right before you usually see the windows XP loading screen, I see a bluescreen error pop up for about 1 second, then the computer reboots back to bios and repeats.

The ram is different in there now as well, but other than that it should pretty much be the same.

Thanks! :wavey:

Edit: The motherboard is a ASUS A7N8X-LA.

Munkul
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
run memtest86on it; download it via google.

casecutter
02-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Sounds like drivers issues with the chipset. You will most likely need to do a fresh install of Windows XP. Start out by doing a repair install and see if that works. If so, you can save yourself some trouble of backing everything up first.

wayout44
02-28-2006, 07:11 PM
However, once I moved it over, all seemed OK. This motherboard came from a HP pre-built computer, and the only thing different about it is it uses her HD now, would that cause some problems?
Edit: The motherboard is a ASUS A7N8X-LA. If you havn't done a fresh reinstall of XP with the new mainboard then that is the kind of behaviour anyone would expect (XP is trying to talk to a different mainboard to what is was originally setup to talk to).