A7V333 Overclock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A7V333 Overclock Question

I just bought an ASUS A7V333 Motherboard with an AMD XP1800+ and some Corsair 256Megs PC2700 RAM.

Question: I've read all sorts of things on how 'easy' this board is to overclock. Fair enough. I jump on into the BIOS and raise the setting from 133/33 to 166/33. I can do this, I think, because my RAM is rated that high correct?? And the 33 doesn't screw up any AGP or PCI or what have you. Well, after doing this my system on restart automatically goes to the BIOS and states words to the effect "You have a frequency problem..fix it dumbass!"

Granted, I haven't fiddled around too much besides bumping up to 145/36 and having the same thing happen.

Problems I 'might' be having. Not enough Power to CPU or memory...if so..what's a good number. I've misunderstood what I should be able to oc and I'm going waaay to high. I should mention I dropped the multiplier to 10X instead of 11.5. Is it locked?? No clue as I got the mobo and CPU with fan attached and since it keeps locking up I can't check (don't wanna look manually...broken two cores trying to put the damn fans back on)

So to all you A7V333 oc'ers out there....can you please let me know what I'm doing wrong or not understanding? Thanks.

well if you haven't changed anything on your 1800+, changing the multiplier will do nothing

thats the only thing i can comments about atm, i have the board, but i don't have a very good hsf atm...
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I changed the fsb. I did NOT change the multiplier. I'm almost 100% positive it's locked. Even changing the fsb 1Mhz upwards has me going back to the BIOS when I restart and saying the freq is off. No idea why it's doing that.

And what about this: CPU/BUS Ratio 1:1 or 4:5. What's all that about??

I've been reading up a good bit on oc'ing and do any of you guys think it's even possible if I don't unlock the CPU?

Comment

It is very possible (though not real easy) to unlock the CPU, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...ew&dId=203.
        Yes you should be able to run your setup at the 4:5 setting which should mean that your CPU FSB will run at 133MHz and your memory at 166MHz (each unit should represent 33MHz so 4 = 133 and 5 = 166) though this setting will only show an advantage when DMA hardware is accessing memory as the CPU will never be able to use the extra bandwidth.
        Your 166/33 setting I think you'll find is a FSB/divider setting which would mean that it may very well be to much for the unlocked CPU to handle the same as the 145MHz FSB you have tried. Try 140MHz and see if you still get the same prob.
        Also what HSF are you using as if it ain't keepin' the CPU cool enough will also impact on your over clocking. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well, I'm having the same problem as well! Currently, waiting for my 'XP Unlocking kit' to arrive, going to unlock the XP and try to OC again!

Comment

Working...
          X