$Mft Error on secondary drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $Mft Error on secondary drive

I just got this a couple days ago, some of the files are "missing" and others show up. I've done a google search and this might help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688

But I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

Anybody know how to fix this if its fixable? There is no OS on this drive, just files.

Re: $Mft Error on secondary drive

Retrieve what you can then reformat the secondary drive. With very few exceptions, anything with the "$" in front of it has to do with the Master File Table, the area of the drive that used to be called the Partition Table in older operating systems. It is the very heart of the NTFS file system, so if you're having issues with it, then it is time for a reformat since something has been done to corrupt it. You would also be doing well to do some basic functionality tests on the hard drive before storing data on it again, just to make sure it doesn't have any physical problems that require the drive to be replaced. MFT errors are not common, so if you're growing bad sectors on the secondary drive, it might be a good idea to toss it and get a new one.

Good luck!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

damn piece o'crap drive....this is the 3rd one they've sent me. Guess I'll get yet another one cuz its still under warranty. I have been emailing myself most of those files although I never was able to nab my music before it disappeared :/ I think I need to not get another SATA.

Just thought I'd give it a shot to see if anyone else knew if it was fixable, tks.

Comment

hmm, well oddly enough the pc rebooted today while I wasnt home and the $Mft corrected itself and the drives running normally.....now I can save it all before it blows lol

Comment

I would recommend it.

As to the fixing itself, there is a 1MB chunk in the last sector of the hard drive that is a mirror of the first 1MB of the MFT. You may have gotten lucky and it re-wrote itself from the mirror, but since the MFT is generally a good deal larger than 1MB in total size, it might still be a good idea to reformat. And I would also get a diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer to check out the drive before replacing... unless you're just looking for a reason to get a new toy.
          My Toys

Comment

I actually think WD is tired of me calling them, this is the 3rd SATA drive I've had now

I did a defrag last night and it went quick cuz it didnt really need it and I was going to do diagnostics but decided since I had it open to do my C drive and bloody hell was that a mess lol I left it running and went to bed :) Gonna do diagnostics today when I get home.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, you aren't using a power connector in both the SATA and Molex sockets are you? The WD drive I have has both of these power options, but you are only supposed to use one.
              My Toys

Comment

Na just have one power connection to it. I don't know why they put two on it anyways.

Comment

So that folks with older power supplies without SATA connectors are still able to use their product. But a lot of folks have made the mistake of hooking power to them both and this usually does not bode well. From stability problems to killing the drive, these are very possible when you use both connectors.

Glad you know the deal, though. Just thought I'd bring the topic up in case you had them both connected. =)
                  My Toys

Comment

"chkdsk" command can fix some $mft error.

Comment

Working...
                    X