PDA

View Full Version : Computer Freezing During Games

BURTON88
05-03-2006, 03:26 AM
I just built a brand new computer and i am using windows 64 bit to run it. It will randomly crash or freeze up in meezely games. Like The GodFather and sim city 4 or BLack and white 2. iT willl freeze and crash. My friend has the same problem the computer specs are almost comparible to mine.

Asus a8ne
ATHLONX2 64 bit 3800x2
1 gig patriot ram
160 gig SATA2
LIGHTSCRIBE DUAL LAYER DVD
500 watt
evga 6800gs
MY FRIENDS SPECS
AMD 64 4000
2 gig ram
70 gig raptor
80 gig SATA2
ASUS A8NE
EVAga 6800gs
BOTH RUNNING 64 bit windows both having same problems

BURTON88
05-03-2006, 03:26 AM
can i use a nvidia driver for a evga card to

TRIGGER
05-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Yes of course you can use genuine Nvidia drivers, Actually, That's what I reccommend you do. Just go to Nvidia's site and download the latest video drivers. But before you install the new ones, uninstall the old evga drivers then re-boot then you can install the new ones.Also update all of your other hardware drivers.

BURTON88
05-03-2006, 03:42 AM
well i did that and it did freeze less but it still freezes is it windows thats doing it. MAyhbe they havent gotten all the bugs out yet

Amd_Lover2004
05-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking that windows XP64 does not like the older games as they are 32 bit games. Win64 is "supposed" to be compatable with 32 bit applications, but in my experiance some do not work as they are supposed to.

Yawgm0th
05-03-2006, 04:28 PM
What brand power supplies are they? What temperatures are you getting on the CPU and video card? Are you using the most recent drivers from nVidia?

64-bit Windows XP has absolutely no problem with games in my experience (it's the only thing I've used on my Athlon 64 system), except for certain games using the Starforce protection system, which won't even install due to the fact that it uses drivers to work and only uses 32-bit drivers. That's okay, because no game using that protection is worth playing simply because it's not worth risking the problems commonly caused by it. In any case, the problems associated with XP Pro x64 are not relevent to this problem.

Spongebob
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
64-bit Windows XP has absolutely no problem with games in my experience (it's the only thing I've used on my Athlon 64 system), except for certain games using the Starforce protection system, which won't even install due to the fact that it uses drivers to work and only uses 32-bit drivers. That's okay, because no game using that protection is worth playing simply because it's not worth risking the problems commonly caused by it. In any case, the problems associated with XP Pro x64 are not relevent to this problem.
Yawgm0th, maybe you already know this but if you happen to run into another game with that protection, then use StarForceClean to get rid of the drivers. It does a very good job in my opinion. Judging by some of the games you've mentioned playing in the past you might like Space rangers 2 wich is a recently released starforce protected game.
http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_8.shtml

BURTON88
05-04-2006, 02:42 AM
iam not using the most recent nvidia dreivers i am using evga drivers and powersupply is a expensive one it s good in my friends comp buti n my iam using a asys 450 watt psu it has its random crashes. LIke i installed ADOBE [email protected] yesterday now i cant play black and white 2 more then 2 minutes. The tems are under 40c easily. iam using zalman. other wise then that idk.
SO you r saying its the drivers

Yawgm0th
05-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Your PSU might be an issue. The particular symptoms point to it, and the brand and wattage probably aren't sufficient for that system.

Update your drivers to the latest on nVidia.com. I would very rarely recommend using whatever drivers the card manufacturers provide.

Wasn't familiar with that Spongebob, but I've yet to try any Starforce games. Unless some must-play games comes out, I don't think I will. I found out about the X64 problem the hard way with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

bf2nut
05-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I just built a brand new computer and i am using windows 64 bit to run it. It will randomly crash or freeze up in meezely games. Like The GodFather and sim city 4 or BLack and white 2. iT willl freeze and crash. My friend has the same problem the computer specs are almost comparible to mine.

Asus a8ne
ATHLONX2 64 bit 3800x2
1 gig patriot ram
160 gig SATA2
LIGHTSCRIBE DUAL LAYER DVD
500 watt
evga 6800gs
MY FRIENDS SPECS
AMD 64 4000
2 gig ram
70 gig raptor
80 gig SATA2
ASUS A8NE
EVAga 6800gs
BOTH RUNNING 64 bit windows both having same problems
your pc is demanding more power from the noname p\s.and for 2. i would get another gig of ram so it runs in true dual channel unless your running 2x512?its actually quite simple in this case,your parts need juice and when not fed that juice they freeze from being being under watted.on occasion if u tweak the memory timings vs stock this can cause massive instability and freezing as well...nice rig tho bro,keep us posted:ar15firinand im curiuos what kind of powersupply does your freind have? antec,ocz,pc power only.450 watt and up should cost $100.