2 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 problems

I have a maxtor 40gb drive I had 4 partitions on. I was going to use it in a dual boot setup. I booted to cd of WinXP to use it's partition program. All 4 partitions was available to use, I chose to delete the last partition and it did say it was deleted. I then thought I would be able to use that to increase the size of the other 3 before installing Win98 then WinXP. I rebooted to start the in stall of 98 when I noticed in bios that the 40gb drive is now showing up as a 30gb drive. I rebooted through the XP cd, to the partition program and it show only a 3-10gb drive. I have not installed anything on this drive as yet. Can I get the 10gb back?
    2nd problem, I used a different drive to setup a Win98/XP dual boot system. Installed 98 and got it operational with all other hardware. Then installed XP got it operational with all hardware. Thought everything was good until I booted to 98. It now does not show my CD\RW or CD-ROM. I looked in the device manager and under "hard disk controllers" it shows this.

"Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller 244B" (no problems here)
    On the next 2 areas there is a yellow explanation mark.
    "Primary Ultra ATA controller"
    "Secondary ultra ATA controller"
    Went to update driver and I think it's looking for this file (IATA98.cat)
    Thanks
    :wave:

2: get the intel inf installers from the intel website, and run them and that should resolve your problem, if they still refuse to initialise, there is a setting called "NOIDE"
    in ya registry that may be keeping ya ide controllers in compatibility mode ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\IOS )

hope that helps, because i have had this happen to me before at work...(without a dual boot or anythin)

1: does it say "unpartitioned space" anywhere in the XP list that shows only 3x10Gb drives... if so u can select that area and choose to make that a partition, if u wanna make it 3 partitions in stead of 4, u should delete all the partitions and start afresh... also if the drive is only being recognised as a 30Gb in the Bios (ie. it has no more "Unpartitioned Space" then u should try running the IDE HDD auto-detect function in ya bios or wotever the nearest equivalent is...

Comment

Thanks for everones input.
      I did a complete reinstall for a dual boot of Win98 & WinXP and the same thing happened, I lost the Ultra ATA drivers and others. This is what the device manager says.

"Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller 244B" (no problems here)
      On the next 2 areas there is a yellow explanation mark.
      "Primary Ultra ATA controller"
      "Secondary ultra ATA controller"
      Went to update driver and I think it's looking for this file (IATA98.cat)

I started from scratch again I think that Roxios GoBack might be causing the problem, I'm not going to install it this time. I'll monitor it this way for a few days and keep software installs to a minimum.

About the missing partition I reversed the master/slave setup. Booted to XP started disk manager deleted the partitions. And now I have the total 40 GB drive.

Comment

Working...
      X