ATI Catalyst 6.5 Performance Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Catalyst 6.5 Performance Analysis

Seriously, how many articles do we need that show the CPU limitation when using a 3800 and high-end cards? Overclock that or get something faster. There's just no point of testing a high-end card like a 1900XT with a 2GHz Athlon 64, which is just barely mid-range as far as gaming goes at this point.

On a more positive note, it's good to see that the TT benchmarking lineup is getting a revamp. Hopefully we'll see some newer titles, such as Oblivion or Age of Empires 3.

Re: ATI Catalyst 6.5 Performance Analysis

Using the 3800 is ment to show what advantages the Average Gamer would get using the new drivers.

Not everyone wants to see a FX60/62 with 1or 2 high end graphics because not all of us can afford those these things.

Comment

Show me a serious gamer with high end cards that does not at least overclock the CPU. If they don't overclock they have a high clocked CPU. I agree, running high end cards with stock low end CPU's leaves alot to be desired. My CPU has never run lower than 2.8GHz the entire time I have owned it and I am an avid gamer. Overclocking is not just for benchmarking.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Average Gamer doesn't have a 3800 and a X1900XT. The test should be to show the advantages of using the newer driver. If you're running a slow CPU, you just can't do that at all.

Comment

Why drop the X1800's all together? There are still lots and lots of X1800 users out there. Adding the X1900 was a great idea, but excluding the X1800 series is not. The X1800GTO is hugely successful and popular. Also, no Crossfire at all? There are huge differences in driver revisions with Crossfire and it just seems a shame not to run at least one Crossfire setup.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
          X