PDA

View Full Version : Operation Flashpoint

SileNceR
04-29-2002, 04:25 PM
Who has played Operation Flashpoint and what do you all think of it?

I'm thinking of buying it - great game... and an amazing anti-copy routine :(

I need to be able to patch it up to newer versions so I can add extra units like the apache and kiowa so the normal nocd crack for ver 1 isn't a solution really...

Beefy
04-29-2002, 08:14 PM
played it.. didn't like it that much...

there's other ways around CD protections you know.. for backup purposes of course.. :)

Acid
04-29-2002, 08:51 PM
two words... it sucks! :)

too slow moving, you don't have much control of your character unlike some FPS games and it gets boring fast.... almost as bad as Ghost Recon. Graphics suck too.

Beefy
04-29-2002, 09:00 PM
I liked Ghost Recon. it wasn't that bad...

*sniff*

Bahamut Zer0
04-29-2002, 09:13 PM
Well, despite what they say, its friggen awesome.

One of the few good ones out there atm.

None of this pansy happy crappy movie ripoffs or lame ass ambush after ambush with the odd 'wow- that looked cool' feature. Youll play this game for at least a month, and it has replay value.

For one- it aint no fps game.
two- it dont need no eye candy. Engine does what it needs to do, and does it well.

Name me another game that lets you drive across an entire island that is fully populated. You can take a cuise from your home base to another base in a jeep and it too is fully occupied by allied troops and all. Dont like driving? Go take a chopper. Hell, jump in a boat and go to another island!

If your serious about war games, this game is for you. If you wanna look at how stupid your 'teammates' are and watch them say and do stupid things, go get MOA.
Flashoint isnt just a one-man army game either. hell, you dont even play one man in the game. You start out as a grunt, then you progress to squad commander, then the story pits you as a different person training for his tank commander badge. Take a tank out for a spin, work your way up to tank commander, then switch to a covert-op agent. sabotage enemy armour, buildings, defences. Then on you go to get your wings. Fancy yourself much of a pilot? Like making A10 bomber runs? Do it.
As you can se- I love the game. Pretty strong aussie based community too, decent servers and players. Pity I dont have the time for gaming anymore. :(

out-of-the box version of flashpoint has easily copied copy protection. Its AFTER you patch it that FADE comes into play. AFter you patch you gotta re-patch...if you know what I mean.

Beefy
04-29-2002, 09:33 PM
Name me another game that lets you drive across an entire island that is fully populated.

Halo. :)

But anyways, I'm gonna disagree with ya. I don't know whether it was the interface, the controlling scheme, the pastel-coloured graphics or what, but something about that game didn't sit well with me... It's not that I don't like that style of game, cos I do. Like I said, I liked GR. But Flashpoint didn't really keep me interested the same....

But that's just me..

Bahamut Zer0
04-30-2002, 08:44 AM
... the pastel-coloured graphics...

war is not pretty.

Like I said- the game engine does what it needs to do, and does it well. Not only does it include a fairly well-detailed command interface for controllong not only yourself, but a whole squad of troops, and includes physics for flying Planes, Helicopters, Boats, Jeeps, Tanks and other assorted mobile craft.

But, like everything- it boils down to preference. I cant stand games like MOA/RtCW that you play for a weekend, then put it on the shelf. You wont do that with Flashpoint.

Thats all that matters imo.

(My pure hatred of the q3a engine plays no part in my comments)

Beefy
04-30-2002, 09:00 AM
(My pure hatred of the q3a engine plays no part in my comments)

I'll second that.. :) well, more just q3a itself.. :)

Acid
04-30-2002, 02:25 PM
I'd have to agree on that Q3A comment.. mindless deathmatch fragging = boring.

Beefy
04-30-2002, 02:53 PM
actually, I don't mind UT.. and that's about the same.. :)

Bahamut Zer0
04-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Not too fond of UT DM myself either, but the variety and skills required to use each and every weapon in UT makes CTF and Assault much more fun than picking up the rocket launcher and 'owning' for an hour or three.

That, and not ever map has brown floors, brown walls and a red sky.
Or a bad lighting engine...
Or lacks EAX/A3D support
etc etc

Beefy
04-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Then we have the Unreal Engine.. :lips:

Bahamut Zer0
04-30-2002, 03:19 PM
tut tut

Its the UT engine.

Original Unreal Engine sucked....at least for nVidia cards. It really only shined when you slap it side by side with Glide. (3DFX)
..mainly because at the time D3D was experimental. So was OpenGL.

UT engine is pretty impressive. You just need to look at the games that used it to see that. Rune, Deus Ex, Undying....

Most impressive graphics/games engine to date imo is the Croteam engine. (Serious Sam)
Vewwy purdy, and 0 slowdown despite having literally 60-100 enemies onscreen and having only a 32meg gf2pro.
Super-high settings too....
*whistles*

Beefy
04-30-2002, 03:21 PM
It's all based on the Unreal engine though, ain't it? I just thought they fixed it all up...

SS2 does some pretty spectacular things with the Croateam engine too...

Bahamut Zer0
04-30-2002, 03:33 PM
A little bit of truth to that.

From what I can remember, Epic were going to just heavily modify the Unreal engine and ride their sucess from unreal.
However, more and more people were getting cards without Glide support. (Matrox, nVidia, S3 etc) so Epic did the smart thing and start from scratch buiolding the engine around more than just one graphics API.
Thats why CD2 of UT has special textures for owners of the S3 card. (Using S3's "MeTaL" as renderer, which Geforce cards can now emulate) and a fair few D3D,OpenGL patches/fixes/enhancements.

Beefy
04-30-2002, 03:37 PM
I thought CD2 was for those with Savage cards?

And they didn't include that CD in the GOTY edition. I guess that's cos they'd patched the game up to date and it was better.

Bahamut Zer0
04-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Yeah S3 Savage cards as well. "MeTaL" is the renderer name.
Metal is to S3 as Glide is to 3dfx. kapiesh? :)

CD2= high-res textures. You just extract them from CD to your UT directory and marvel and more detailed textures.

Ask Albinus if he got CD2 with his copy. Its nothing too much to miss out on, but its the same deal as the high-res update for HL that shipped with Blue-Shift. Its not critical, but looks purdy when you have it.

Beefy
04-30-2002, 03:59 PM
I'm with ya now.. :)

I know someone with the CD.. I just didn't realise that there was a hi-res pack for it.. and I haven't played UT in months, so I won't get too concerned about it

Black Lord
05-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Hmm My little rant about Op Flash point

It is by far the more realistic War game out !

Why u ask ?

A little thing called MACROrealism

Micro realism is what games like Ghost recon excel at but they don't capture the "feel" of combat in a modern war. Micro is about how weapons look an feel an how pretty the trees look.

From my time with the army an from reports from other ppl in the army, Op flash point is the most Realistic combat game around.

Macrorealism is about not knowing a map an being about to used the gound to your advantage as u find it. It's about using ground cover an being able to Move anywhere. In op flash point u can always Flank the enemy cause there is no boundry to where u can go.

I personally think it's one of the best games ever made. If there was more suport for it in Australia I would be playing it an not DoD.

It does however take some time to get into it. 1st couple of times i played it i was less than impressed (mainly due to the graphics) but then I found out what the game was about an how to get the most out of it.

MorB 3 i intend to have a good game of OP flash point. Anyone wanna join me ?

Bahamut Zer0
05-10-2002, 10:57 PM
yay! finally- someone else sees the light.

doubt id be attending morb3 anytime in my lifetime, but fyi- there are quite a few active flashpoint servers out there catering you your aussie ping. The All-Seeing Eye will show you the way.

http://www.udpsoft.com/eye

sKuLLsHoT
05-11-2002, 12:41 AM
looks like i dont need to defend opflashpoint too much, its been done well here, great game, BlackLord is a slart in it tho, ******* remembers stuff too well...

anyhow, despite the graphics (i have a gf2mx anyway) the game still plays great, the slowness as acid says, is realism, there is always the run option but if u do that to much, u'll b puffin like an ol' steam train...

i dunno how real it is, but i must say it has to be damn close...i can see where acid is coming from tho, he prefers CS over DoD tho....nuff said :P

if all you wanna do is pop in a game and pull BS shots and own like hell, OFP aint for u :)

volton
05-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Just to add my 2 cents i finished OP flash and thought it was excellent especially the flight sims parts were extremelly smooth
(the a-10 warthog was my fav) Another good aspect was that you can get shot relatively easy if not careful not like some games were you can get shot 10 times and then pick up some armour and keep going

voltons Op Flash review 8.5 / 10

Black Lord
06-10-2002, 02:34 PM
There will be much Opflashness at MorB 3

zzilver
06-24-2002, 10:19 PM
I am not sure what to think of OP FLashpoint.

I liked the realism, the one shot kill thing. I didn't like the one time save option per level.
I found myself replaying some boring parts over and over again. Since you decide where to use you're single save slot, you do this either too fast or too late. Either way you find yourself doing the same easy things over and over again which isn't nice :snip:

Furthermore after becoming a rather good team member (and enjoying this) I suddenly found myself in command of a tank. At first I thought yeah, nice. But after a couple of levels as tank commander I realised, I was not doing any real damage in combat. I still don't know how to control that vehicle.

On we go, to become squad commander. I am sure this is a really realistic way to play squad leader, but I found it to be over complicated. I could not control my squad the way I wanted to. And I did not want too learn this skill either.
You can compare it to a good racesimulation. I like driving cars, but I don't want to spend an hour tweaking the suspension.
And so I removed the game from my system and quit.

Maybe I'll install it again, to check out those flightsim parts. There is after all a very easy way to cheat your way through levels. : party ha

Flash
06-29-2002, 09:25 AM
i hate operation flashpoint. i have it, played the first mission-didnt get to shoot ANYTHING. the graphics suck(i had everything maxed even). interaction is pretty good, but stupid conversation.

But_Why
07-11-2002, 01:06 PM
two words... it sucks! :)

too slow moving, you don't have much control of your character unlike some FPS games and it gets boring fast.... almost as bad as Ghost Recon. Graphics suck too.

I don't know what planet you came from, but Op Flash rocks!!!

Its the coolest game, and i'd reccommend buying it! It has a few great addons as well. Good missions and great realism!

Bahamut Zer0
07-11-2002, 05:37 PM
The resistance pack totally recreates the game. For you ppl who cant get over eye candy/phat graphics, you might wanna check it out. It aint up to doom3 standards, but, as you will undoubtedly fail to realise- it doesnt really matter. At all.

But_Why
07-12-2002, 05:41 AM
i've been waiting for the Resistance add on for AGES!!! it still isn't released over here dammit :angryfire
can't wait!!! :thumb:

zzilver
07-15-2002, 05:05 PM
i've been waiting for the Resistance add on for AGES!!! it still isn't released over here dammit :angryfire
can't wait!!! :thumb:

Yeah, and here is where??
Why don't you just order it on the internet. (or download it somewhere).

:wave:

But_Why
07-16-2002, 05:43 AM
Here is NZ and our exchange rate sucks so buying games over the internet usually ends up costing more than shops (depending on the shipping)
downloading anything on a 56k sucks too!
:afro:
Edit: ITS DUE HERE TODAY!! YAY!