Operation Flashpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint

Who has played Operation Flashpoint and what do you all think of it?

I'm thinking of buying it - great game... and an amazing anti-copy routine :(

I need to be able to patch it up to newer versions so I can add extra units like the apache and kiowa so the normal nocd crack for ver 1 isn't a solution really...
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

played it.. didn't like it that much...

there's other ways around CD protections you know.. for backup purposes of course.. :)

Comment

two words... it sucks! :)

too slow moving, you don't have much control of your character unlike some FPS games and it gets boring fast.... almost as bad as Ghost Recon. Graphics suck too.

Comment

I liked Ghost Recon. it wasn't that bad...

*sniff*

Comment

Well, despite what they say, its friggen awesome.

One of the few good ones out there atm.

None of this pansy happy crappy movie ripoffs or lame ass ambush after ambush with the odd 'wow- that looked cool' feature. Youll play this game for at least a month, and it has replay value.

For one- it aint no fps game.
          two- it dont need no eye candy. Engine does what it needs to do, and does it well.

Name me another game that lets you drive across an entire island that is fully populated. You can take a cuise from your home base to another base in a jeep and it too is fully occupied by allied troops and all. Dont like driving? Go take a chopper. Hell, jump in a boat and go to another island!

If your serious about war games, this game is for you. If you wanna look at how stupid your 'teammates' are and watch them say and do stupid things, go get MOA.
          Flashoint isnt just a one-man army game either. hell, you dont even play one man in the game. You start out as a grunt, then you progress to squad commander, then the story pits you as a different person training for his tank commander badge. Take a tank out for a spin, work your way up to tank commander, then switch to a covert-op agent. sabotage enemy armour, buildings, defences. Then on you go to get your wings. Fancy yourself much of a pilot? Like making A10 bomber runs? Do it.
          As you can se- I love the game. Pretty strong aussie based community too, decent servers and players. Pity I dont have the time for gaming anymore. :(

out-of-the box version of flashpoint has easily copied copy protection. Its AFTER you patch it that FADE comes into play. AFter you patch you gotta re-patch...if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
            Name me another game that lets you drive across an entire island that is fully populated.
            Halo. :)

But anyways, I'm gonna disagree with ya. I don't know whether it was the interface, the controlling scheme, the pastel-coloured graphics or what, but something about that game didn't sit well with me... It's not that I don't like that style of game, cos I do. Like I said, I liked GR. But Flashpoint didn't really keep me interested the same....

But that's just me..

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy

... the pastel-coloured graphics...
              war is not pretty.

Like I said- the game engine does what it needs to do, and does it well. Not only does it include a fairly well-detailed command interface for controllong not only yourself, but a whole squad of troops, and includes physics for flying Planes, Helicopters, Boats, Jeeps, Tanks and other assorted mobile craft.

But, like everything- it boils down to preference. I cant stand games like MOA/RtCW that you play for a weekend, then put it on the shelf. You wont do that with Flashpoint.

Thats all that matters imo.

(My pure hatred of the q3a engine plays no part in my comments)

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
                (My pure hatred of the q3a engine plays no part in my comments)
                I'll second that.. :) well, more just q3a itself.. :)

Comment

I'd have to agree on that Q3A comment.. mindless deathmatch fragging = boring.

Comment

actually, I don't mind UT.. and that's about the same.. :)

Comment

Not too fond of UT DM myself either, but the variety and skills required to use each and every weapon in UT makes CTF and Assault much more fun than picking up the rocket launcher and 'owning' for an hour or three.

That, and not ever map has brown floors, brown walls and a red sky.
                      Or a bad lighting engine...
                      Or lacks EAX/A3D support
                      etc etc

Comment

Then we have the Unreal Engine.. :lips:

Comment

tut tut

Its the UT engine.

Original Unreal Engine sucked....at least for nVidia cards. It really only shined when you slap it side by side with Glide. (3DFX)
                          ..mainly because at the time D3D was experimental. So was OpenGL.

UT engine is pretty impressive. You just need to look at the games that used it to see that. Rune, Deus Ex, Undying....

Most impressive graphics/games engine to date imo is the Croteam engine. (Serious Sam)
                          Vewwy purdy, and 0 slowdown despite having literally 60-100 enemies onscreen and having only a 32meg gf2pro.
                          Super-high settings too....
                          *whistles*

Comment

It's all based on the Unreal engine though, ain't it? I just thought they fixed it all up...

SS2 does some pretty spectacular things with the Croateam engine too...

Comment

A little bit of truth to that.

From what I can remember, Epic were going to just heavily modify the Unreal engine and ride their sucess from unreal.
                              However, more and more people were getting cards without Glide support. (Matrox, nVidia, S3 etc) so Epic did the smart thing and start from scratch buiolding the engine around more than just one graphics API.
                              Thats why CD2 of UT has special textures for owners of the S3 card. (Using S3's "MeTaL" as renderer, which Geforce cards can now emulate) and a fair few D3D,OpenGL patches/fixes/enhancements.

Comment

Working...
                              X