Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading Motherboard Question

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can tell me what your experience was when changing a motherboard . Here is what I am doing and my question. I am updating a system that has been running for 3+ years, I want to change the motherboard with a new Athlon XP processor but still using the original hard drive. Is there a correct procedure in doing this, because I know all the devices are going to be different in Windows. Should I go into the device manager and remove all of the devices before replacing the motherboard then hoock the drive up to the new mb and boot up and let it detect all the new stuff? Is this feasible? or is there a better way to upgrade a mb using what's already on the hard disk? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bill

Your best bet is going to be to either back up your data and format the hard drive, re-install Windows, and then restore your data, or you can format the hard drive, re-install windows, and forget about your data and just do it. You shouldn't really use the existing install of windows because of the motherboard drivers that are installed from the previous motherboard could be problems.

Comment

Which version of Windows are you running?

Comment

I run Win98, Win2k Advanced Server, and Windows XP Professional. I have in the past used all flavors of WinNT.

Comment

Unless it's the exact same chipset, you're gonna have problems sooner or later--most likely sooner--and you'll have to reinstall Windows anyway. This is the advantage of having a partitioned hard drive.

Comment

You could always get hold of a copy of partition magic, then you could create a partitionto put all your stuff in. Then u could format the main partition leaving all your data on the other partition.

Comment

Working...
            X