amd xp 1800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amd xp 1800

in control panel/system of windows xp my amd 1800 xp processor is showing up as a 1.1 instead of 1.47ghz. I don't understand why.

when you boot your computer up, what speed does it give then?

Just for verification, try download WCPUID from <a href="http://download.com.com/3000-2086-8396416.html?legacy=cnet" target="_blank">here</a> and see what it says.

Comment

you most likely need to go into your bios and change the FSB clockrate to 133Mhz instead of 100Mhz.

look in yer MB manual to find exactly where it is, also on some older boards this was done through a jumper, but now is done through BIOS.

Comment

that's what I was thinking... just wanted to make sure though.

Comment

yeah it'll be that, i always forget to do it when i install athlons till i see the speed.

Comment

I've never had a problem like that, you sure they don't auto detect the speed for the most part?

Comment

With Athlon XP's, if you don't set the FSB to 133, it won't run at it's full potential. If you calculate it, the chip is 1.1Ghz at 100FSB.. 1100Mhz x 1.33 = 1463Mhz... which is 1.47 basically..

Mine did the same.

Comment

well i build athlon PCs for a livin, and i havent seen a MB yet that autosets the FSB. Its gotta be done maually in the BIOS. you can set it to auto but most come preset to 100 i guess so ya dont blow up a duron

Comment

Many thanks to all replies. My mainboard is an EPOX 8K3A. I went into the BIOS and tried to change the FSB from 100 to 133Mhz but apparently that option does not exist on this board.The options it gave me were normal, fast ,faster and something else I don't remember. I tried moving it to fast from normal but didn't accomplish anything. I then downloaded WCPUID but that only told me about my disk health. I probably didn't do something right in the process. I'm not too swift when it comes to computers.So just to show this electronic marvel who's boss I gave my computer desk a good kick in the labonza and went back to system in control panel and there it was. AMD XP 1700+ [not 1800 as I originally said] and 1.47Ghz. What can I say? Thanks again for all the good responses, much appreciated. Ed

Comment

how the ... why .... what the f.... he kicked what? ... I confused again. Where is this labonza that one must kick in order to get things working again? I wonder if you can overclock in the same way? Kick it again to see if it'll jump to 166 FSB...

Comment

eh, coulda been the jumper type and already set right but just not contacting properly till the kick gave it a good jolt.

but that may work with puters but i tried it with the work experience kid and it doesnt make them work any faster.

Comment

it actually slows down work experience kids.. cos they gotta rub the spot you kicked em. :)

Comment

no they sorta just curl up in a ball.

But why didnt you warn me earlier, you should know better.

Comment

as if you listen to any of my warnings....

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                              as if you listen to any of my warnings....
                              Does anybody?

Comment

Working...
                              X