Combining HP parts and new ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining HP parts and new ones

Here's the deal, I have a HP Pavilion PC that's almost two years old. It's a P3 and came with a 40GB HDD, floppy drive, burner, and DVD drive. I added a modem and SB Live after I bought it. Well I was planning on upgrading to an Epox mobo and Athlon XP 1800, but when I opened the Pavilion case, it was way too cramped for my comfort so I decided to buy a new case. Now how easy (or hard) would it be to take the HDD, floppy, and both optical drives and transfer it along with the new mobo and cpu to a new case?

easy as pie. Like we talked about in the other thread, you'll have to reinstall everything from scratch on the HDD, but apart from that you shouldn't have any problems...

Comment

Cool thanks. Now all I have to do is buy the parts from Newegg and wait.

Comment

That's what i did with my system, word of advice: don't use you HP psu it won't put out enough power.

Comment

I'd have to agree there. I forget what the rated PSU on this one HP (damn your cases) I worked on was, but I don't remember it being any higher than 250 watts max.

Comment

my old hp one was 115w i think :confused:

Comment

I know what you mean about the HP Pavillion having no room inside. I couldn't even get my hand inside without pulling the darn thing apart. The PSU was a whopping 135W. You will want to replace that with something in the 350-400W Range. I would lean closer to 400W if you plan on overclocking.

JM:afro:
              Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

i have an hp 750n. i like it, but i want to do some upgrades, like get a new mobo for it. i want to know what you guys think i should do. i have a p4 1.6 in it, but i want to overclock perhaps, and i think the HP mobo will explode.:devil:

cheers:cheers:

Comment

If that HP mobo were to explode, it would be the most action you would ever get from it for sure:laugh:
                  Yeah, get a new mobo, and as was stated so well above -- make your life easier and get a case with a decent amount of space. The more time you spend under the hood, the happier you'll be that you opted for the roomier case.

There are a lot of decent mobo's for a CPU in that range, study some online reviews and see what comes closest to meeting your needs.

And for that extra assurance of success, make sure you leave enough in the project budget for a power supply & case.
                  Happy Tweaking Dude:thumb:
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                  X