Will ddr2 667 work in this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will ddr2 667 work in this???

Well, I'm upgrading one of the school computers. It is a HP / Compaq dc5100 mT. It came with 256 of ram and I was thinking of putting a gig into it - 2x512mb. The current ram is PC2-3200. Can I put in PC2-5300? Will there be any performance gain over 3200 in this setup? The school has $100 to spend on this upgrade, so I can go pretty far with some good ram.

Re: Will ddr2 667 work in this???

One thing is that you need to make sure it is the right type of module, I dont know what else might effect it, This post probably wont make much affect though. the others know what the limitations on the RAM are.

Comment

I think you are mistaken, PC3200 is DDR1 RAM and PC2 5300 is DDR2. This will not work, and would have no advantage really if it could. Just buy a gig of PC3200 ram you can get it dirt cheap at almost any online retailer.

Comment

PC2-3200 = DDR2

THere is still no advantage of putting in faster ram unless you can overclock it to it's rated speeds.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Faster RAM will never, ever provide a noticable performance increase in an OEM system such as a Compaq. Timing changes would be the most you could do, and they have very little real-world effect. More RAM, however, will provide a performance boost to any system, regardless of how slow the processor or hard drive is, provided it doesn't have much RAM to start with. Just buy a GB of the cheapest DDR2 you can find and throw it in there. IIRC, 533MHz is RAM is no more expensive than 400MHz, so you might as well get some.

Comment

I didnt think there was such a thing as PC2 3200, I thought it started at 4200, in any case it still ownt much if any diffrence if it is PC2 3200 or 5400. AS yawg said only the amount of RAM will really matter in this particular case.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. I ordered some Corsair stuff today. Hope everything works out...

Comment

Working...
              X