Can I Still Overclock!!!! Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Still Overclock!!!! Help!!!!

Well, i just got my new processor tonight, and i was applying the arctic silver, and it came out WAY! too fast, and now i have it all over my cpu. I managed to clean off as much as i could, but some of it is still on there. Since it is covering everything, i wanted to know if i could still overclock by the clock multiplier. I got a 1.4 tbird, and it came factory unlocked, but i dont know what the deal is

Welcome back LunchBox!!

Ouch, wish your return could have been a happier one.
    Listen, I'm not sure what the details are on your particular unlock. But you have a potentially dangerous situation there!!
    That Arctic Silver conducts electricity - you must completely remove it before you apply juice to that CPU, or it could be disastrous.

Just wanted to get this up immediately, hopefully someone will be along soon with more details on the unlock factor.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

After a little thought + rudimentary research;
      If that T-bird is truly "Factory Unlocked" it means the L1 bridges were not cut at the factory.
      If that's the case, you should be able to clean up the heatsink compound using various popular techniques.

I must stress, the Arctic Silver is conductive. You must get it all off - or risk potentially damaging that CPU.

If it is a case where someone other than the factory has unlocked it, you can always unlock it yourself should the material used to unlock be removed in the clean up of the thermal compound.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

An old toothbrush, some cotton balls, and some Isopropyl Alcohol should do the trick for you. I've done the same thing and mine still works fine... and if you check the signature, you'll see that it still overclocks just fine. :D
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Thanx darth, i cant stress how much i appreciate this. Since it was powder, initially cleaning it off was hard but there was still some there. Is there any way that in doing waht u say could scratch or do something else thats damaging?

Comment

Nope it shouldn't unless ya old toothbrush is made of wire. ;)
            Oh and welcome back. :wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C

I must stress, the Arctic Silver is conductive. You must get it all off - or risk potentially damaging that CPU.
              actually the electrical conductivity properties of Arctic Silver are very low - it has more of a capacitive quality than conductive. The silver present is in an ionic state not elemental.

That being said, I wouldn't apply power to a CPU covered with Arctic Silver either

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
                That being said, I wouldn't apply power to a CPU covered with Arctic Silver either
                now why the hell wouldn;t ya :D ;)
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

From Arctic Silver web site:

Negligible electrical conductivity.
                  Arctic Silver II was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. It is only electrically conductive in a thin layer under extreme compression.

Having said that, they go on to say.

While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver II should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The compound is slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths.

Having said that, I would like to add that it is generally a good idea to only use what you need. And to cleanup/dispose of any excess. Even if the the perceived risk is low or neglible. Good housekeeping practices will save you a lot of headaches later, no matter what the circumstances.

Just my $.02

JM
                  Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

I've killed a 1gig tbird with AC, it got all over all the bridges... man do tbirds smell when they cook :eek:

Comment

Working...
                    X