Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Raptors in a RAID0 array

Hey all,
    I have a system(windows Xp) with 2 raptors in a RAID 0 format. I wanted to switch those drives to another 2 drives in a RAID 0 array. Is there any way to transfer all the data, including the OS, on the previous drives to the new ones?

Re: Swapping Raptors in a RAID0 array

As long as you have 2 open ports to create a new array to copy it over to, but I believe you are going to need to do it to identical drives as well, If you are going to different drives, I am 99% sure you are going to have to do a full fresh install.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Image the array, but I'm not sure about how to restore that image to a RAID since the OS normally needs exact information about the drives for the RAID to work properly. Maybe some others with more RAID experience can shed a bit more light on the topic.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Actually I was going to use 2 74Gb Raptors instead of the 37Gb. Is it possible to place them in a RAID 0-1 array and then mirror them, and then remove the old drives and keep the new 74Gb drives in a RAID0 array? I know initially tht the 74Gb drive would only show as 37Gb in a 0-1 array, but would they revert back to 74Gb when the 37Gb drives are removed?

Comment

No, once they are set up that way, they will stay that way. I think your only hope is to make a ghost image and put it on the new array and see what happens. The drives are pobably close enough in specs that it just might work.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
          X