Are IBM hard drives any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are IBM hard drives any good?

I'm either going with a 30GB Maxtor for $70 US or a 40GB IBM for $71 US. Both are running at 7200 rpm. I heard that lately IBM drives haven't been that great. Is there any truth to this? Oh, I also have a Maxtor drive now if that matters at all.

I couldn't recommend you getting IBM,

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=180
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by MagCynic
      I'm either going with a 30GB Maxtor for US or a 40GB IBM for US. Both are running at 7200 rpm. I heard that lately IBM drives haven't been that great. Is there any truth to this? Oh, I also have a Maxtor drive now if that matters at all.
      Oh yeah, IBM drives are great, If you need a doorstop, boat anchor, or paperwieght:hammer:
      Go with the Maxtor, a much better drive:thumb:

Comment

That's what I was leaning to anyways. Plus then I'll have matching Maxtor drives.

Comment

in my experience there is no difference in the brand of the Drive as to the reliability, only performance that changes... having not known alot about maxtor, I can say IBM are a preformer, andif you follow the tweakers guidelines in regard to HDD's you'll be fine with a IBM (lets face it, nothing lasts forever)

If you want reliability, I'd recommend a Quantum/Maxtor 20Gb Drive, as the 20Gb's tend to be single platter, fast, quiet lower power drives, and rarely die.

there you have it :)

Comment

I've never had an IBM drive myself, but the two Maxtor drives i've got (30GB and 60GB) work like a charm. No complaints from me.

Comment

I actually was eying a 20GB Maxtor drive, but the one I'm looking at off Newegg spins at 5400rpm. Is there really that big of a difference between 7200 and 5400? I'm not that picky either.

Comment

Originally posted by MagCynic
                I actually was eying a 20GB Maxtor drive, but the one I'm looking at off Newegg spins at 5400rpm. Is there really that big of a difference between 7200 and 5400? I'm not that picky either.
                Yes, put simply. :)
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I don't think you want to buy a 20 GB drive with today's market. I bet you can get an 80GB (qualdruple the size) for less than double the price....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak

If MagCynic has ever defragged a 5400 RPM drive he will love the difference when he does it to a 7200:thumb:
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yeah that's for sure. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak

Or in my case 5400RPM is better..... put two of them in RAID-0 and watch the "slow" 5400RPM drives extort lunch money from the 7200RPM drives :laugh:
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

heh, what kinda comment is that?

as if two 7200's in raid 0 wouldn't rape two 5400's PFFFF !! :p :D

Comment

Hey guys, I've got two geo metro engines, and hooked 'em up together on a chasis, and they do 0 - 60 in 5 seconds, which is faster than a ferrari....

HAHAH FERRARI'S SUCK !!!

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                              zeradul[/size]]
                              heh, what kinda comment is that?

as if two 7200's in raid 0 wouldn't rape two 5400's PFFFF !! :p :D
                              What Albinus meant was that 2x 5400rpm HDD's in RAID 0 will perform faster than 1 7200rpm HDD. :smokin:
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X