Northwood Pentium 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwood Pentium 4

I attempted to order a new Dell 4400 today & specified that I wanted the Northwood P4...not the Williamette chip. I was told there was no guarantee I would get the Northwood chip & would not be able to tell the difference anyway. I declined their offer! Is it proper to specify a certain chip & is it possible to detect the difference & if so, how?

I presume you want the Northwood revision for it's better overclocking than the Willamette??? :?:

If so, don't buy a Dell system - you will NOT be able to overclock the chip, as they use Intel motherboards, which are designed for stability and not overclocking.

Your best bet is to try a reputable small computer store - don't try an unknown one as many will slip a Willamette in to save a few $$$.

Dell should be kicked up the arse for suggesting there is "no performance difference" between the two... there is a noticable performance boost in many applications from the extra L2 cache of the Northwood. Download Intel's Frequency ID from their site, and run it. If you have a Northwood, it will show up as having 512KB of L2 cache, if not then it will show 256KB.

Hope this helps :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
      Download Intel's Frequency ID from their site, and run it. If you have a Northwood, it will show up as having 512KB of L2 cache, if not then it will show 256KB.

Hope this helps :)
      Dont forget, there are versions of the Willamette out there that include 512KB of cache...

The real way to tell the difference between the Northwood and the Willamette is the fact that Northwood processors boasts a 0.13-micron die whereas the Willamette is still based upon a 0.18-micron die size!

Comment

I would like to see the Willimette with 512K cache, cause Intel state NO WILLIMETTE has 512K cache, their distinct feature is 256K cache, 0l.18 micron die

Comment

Yeah as even the XEON's based on that core are 256K L2's. :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by Soverign
            I would like to see the Willimette with 512K cache, cause Intel state NO WILLIMETTE has 512K cache, their distinct feature is 256K cache, 0l.18 micron die
            Yes, my fault...i confused the cache with the socket size...

What i meant was that there are Willamettes @ Socket478 and Willamettes based on the Socket423 pin setup......yet all Willamette do have a cache size of 256KB and a 0.18-micron die

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
              Yeah as even the XEON's based on that core are 256K L2's. :smokin:

Xeon's can be up to 1 meg cache, if you have enough Cash!

Comment

P3 xeon up to 2 meg L2 cache
                http://www.intel.com/pentiumiii/xeon..._piiixeonsrvr&

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt

Xeon's can be up to 1 meg cache, if you have enough Cash!

Not the Pentium 4 Xeon - you're talking about the Pentium III Xeon which is a totally different kettle of fish :smokin:

Comment

Yep someone didn't read the title. :devil:

Comment

Your best bet is to try a reputable small computer store
                      I beg to differ... At least in the area I live.

I live in a rural area, and so our 'tiny computer stores' have nothing but out dated hardware (Celeron 800's !!! WOW!!) and WAY inflated prices. I do frequent some urban 'reputable computer stores' in the Twin Cities (3 hours away) when I get the chance, and they do have SOME good prices... I usually just get ram there... but even their mobos and processor are often too 20% higher than Online retailers.

And you would think these urban stores do plenty of business being literally 'IN' a campus of 50,000 students...

None the less, i would suggest getting most components online, with the exception of a few hardware items you can find locally for less... in my case, ram.

"But what if i have to take it back to the store because it was DOA??"
                      Research what you want to buy, then buy good quality hardware, and you won't have to take it back... simple.

Comment

That's completely different to Australia..... all the small stores I have dealt with have competitive prices and keep current stock ;)

Comment

I've got a bunch of different stores that are all pretty good in certain areas. One of them is more toward older stuff, but another while generally the most expensive, has the best service in town and I'm on a good enough basis I don't need to whip out my ID when I whip out my credit card.:D

Yeah, it's more expensive, but if something is dead or dies, I can get a replacement quickly

Comment

Working...
                          X