Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about SPDIF to Optical conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SPDIF to Optical conversion.

I want to be able to hear my TV volume through my surround sound system. I have a 42" Magnavox LCD TV that has only a SPDIF audio out but my surround sound component player does not have a SPDIF audio in. It has an optical in. Is there a way to convert the 2 different types of ends so I can use the SPDIF digital out with my surround sound systems optical in?

Maybe theres a better way.....

Re: Question about SPDIF to Optical conversion.

I dont know of anyway to convert SPDIF to optical. Do you have digital cable or satelite? If you do you should be able to use the opitical out on your cable box and input directly to the surrond system without having to go through the TV. If you dont have digital cable then I imagine you have a pretty crappy picture on your TV (i assume its HD compatible). The only way to convert the signal would be to get another receiver than can input SPDIF and output opitcal but i dont think any of them do it, most only output to speakers.

Comment

Re: Question about SPDIF to Optical conversion.

Originally posted by meesta_sparkle
      I dont know of anyway to convert SPDIF to optical. Do you have digital cable or satelite? If you do you should be able to use the opitical out on your cable box and input directly to the surrond system without having to go through the TV. If you dont have digital cable then I imagine you have a pretty crappy picture on your TV (i assume its HD compatible). The only way to convert the signal would be to get another receiver than can input SPDIF and output opitcal but i dont think any of them do it, most only output to speakers.
      No I don't have a HD cable box yet for this TV. I'm thinking about picking another one up tomorrow though. The dang cable company rents those things for $12 per month apeice. I do agrre that the picture quality might be worth it although the TV already gets some digital channels without the a cable box and I'm guessing thats becuase it has a built in tuner, there is no sound on these digital channels without using the digital audio out jack (SPDIF).

Comment

Working...
      X