Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any fearless individual here ever tried SuSE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fearless individual here ever tried SuSE?

What's up with SuSE?
    I understand each distro is unique in some way unto itself.
    So can anyone tell me what the Rosetta Stone is here?
    I'm using SuSE 7.3 Personal. I have installed everything up to and including source codes. Because I'm new at this and not knowing what I may need, and having the drive space available, when the installer asked I said yes.

To date I have failed utterly at installing any driver for any hardware that was not included in the distribution.
    Apparently something about Linux has made me completely unable to follow clear and concise directions printed in plain English?
    All I can do is get numerous errors, failures to parse, and all the other lingo which specifically implies to the user that "that ain't gonna' happen".
    I can install software from third party sources (OK, admittedly that isn't what you would call smooth, but I get it done - with the exception of the Java escapade which was related in an earlier whinge)
    But drivers just foil me at every attempt?

It is becoming rather agravating to go from being competent (and in the circles I run in IRL actually being considered fluent) with the Windows OS, to being a complete blithering fool in Linux.
    Now I realize fully that I am not going to become a Guru in a few weeks. What I need here is some guidance to make some small breakthrough here and hopefully to get the little 2 1/2 Watt bulb inside my pea-brain to glow a little bit.

I'm not knocking SuSE, but maybe I just need a flavor that has a bit better documentation? Maybe BSD is more for me?
    Heck, I don't know, I'm freaking lost here!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I've never used SuSE, but if you go here to post your questions I'm sure some helpfull SuSE user will have an answer for you.
    p-two.net

Comment

I've had good luck with Mandrake 8.2. It took a few tries,but finally got it up and going. I've also had some good luck with "Redmond" linux, later renamed Lycoris/LX . The Lycoris is fairly plain jane compared to the Mandrake 8.2, and my reasoning is this.

With Mandrake you have KDE as default,, but also Gnome, and some other graphical desktops to choose from. Far as I can tell, KDE is it for Redmond. My guess is that the lack of extras, also makes for easier transitions for newbies. Less to mess with... less to Fudge up. *S*

Redmond does have some nifty things going for it, including DVD and DivX installed, and several complements of programs to add to it as you get more "enlightened" sorry for the pun... there's also an email program called enlightment.

I've downloaded Opera for Windows, and tried it. I've tried also the Linux flavor. My opinion FOR WHAT IT"S WORTH... IE 6.0 with Windows XP is my favorite and seems quite user friendly. Galeon in Linux is tops for web browsers, although Konqueror is a good second and Opera in either MS or Linux is not worth my time to install.. now this is just my opinion.. I'm sure this will start some future comments on this matter. *S*

I'm the same with you Mr. C... I am not quite used to the way Linux sets up hardware.. in MS you install the hardware.. boot.. then it finds the hardware and installs the drivers where they are supposed to be to make it all work. In Linux you install the drivers in certain places.. THEN install the hardware and hope it finds it. I've got sound in KDE and Gnome in Mandrake, but no cigars in Redmond Linux (build 43).

anyway.. my 3 and 1/4 cents worth. *G*

Comment

LOL
        It's just crazy, I can investigate my hardware in Linux. There it all is listed by name, properly up to and including chipsets and any other information pertaining to the peripheral. Even IRQ's and every other essential piece of info is within the grasp of the Linux OS.
        But nonetheless no drivers are ever successfully installed?

I'm such a loser:cry:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Don't loose heart yet Mr.C but remember back to the early learning days of tryin' to work out how to do things in windows. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

No problem Wiggo, as soon as I can get 10,000,000 hours of spare time I'm going to make some install wizards for Linux:D

First I'll have to enroll in college so I can drop out and become a proper software king:laugh:

Comment

Working...
            X