P4 2.0a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4 2.0a

I've got the EPoX 4SDA+ motherboard and a P4 2.0a Northwood.

I was overclocking with the stock Intel HSF, but i thought my temps were kind of high, so i recently bought the Alpha PAL8942 heatsink with a Sunon 48.5CFM 80mm fan.

I'm currently running my P4 2.0ghz Northwood @ 2610mhz with a vcore of 1.85 (+0.35 from default of 1.5)

My temps are about 49-51ºC idle and just a little bit over that for load.

I was wondering if my current vcore is to high for this proc? Also, are my temps too hot for a northwood chip?

Thanks for any information you may have, and please post your speeds/vcores/temps below....

In reference to Intel P4 Thermal Management .
    Intel states the highest reccomended case temperature to be 68C additionaly the heatsink fan inlet temperature should not exceed 40C.

Intel provides no temperature specifications for either the PIII or P4 processors other than these.
    That is due to the thermal management built into the processor.
    If the temperature gets to intense the P4 will throttle back in an attempt to cool itself, if that fails it will just shut down.
    The result is that no damage will occur to the CPU. You just need to monitor your system to ensure that your processor is running at full speed at the temps you talked about. (although that shouldn't be a problem, as I've seen instances of P4's running quite a bit in excess of 51C with no problem whatsoever.)

In essence, when your temp is too high - you will know, but fortunately you won't have to worry about processor damage. (truly the only area in which the Intel has the clear advantage)

As for voltage, I have seen instances where others did the same - but I'm really not sure how I feel about it. (not much help there am I?)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
      If the temperature gets to intense the P4 will throttle back in an attempt to cool itself, if that fails it will just shut down.
      The result is that no damage will occur to the CPU. You just need to monitor your system to ensure that your processor is running at full speed at the temps you talked about. (although that shouldn't be a problem, as I've seen instances of P4's running quite a bit in excess of 51C with no problem whatsoever.)

In essence, when your temp is too high - you will know, but fortunately you won't have to worry about processor damage. (truly the only area in which the Intel has the clear advantage)
      So does this imply that overclocking on a Northwood, or any other proc that throttles back when heat is too intese, will not effect the lifespan of the processor?

My case temperature never exceed 30ºC, no matter what time of year....
      What is weird is that my CPU temperature is about 46ºC idle when its at stock clocks (2.0ghz/1.5vcore) and when it is at 2.61GHz/1.85vcore the idle temps are about 50ºC...i would think there would be a much bigger difference considering the huge difference in clock speed.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: By the way, how much would you be interested in selling some of that virtual memory for? Windows says I'm low or something! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

It has been my belief that the technology that went into the temperature throttling of the P4 was designed specifically to optimize the life of the CPU. It makes it quite difficult to inflict heat related damage during actual use of the processor.

As far as those Idle temps go, why is there a 4 degree increase at all? Is the core voltage contributing to that?
        I mean, idle is idle, as in not much taking place. What are your temps at 100% CPU load? That would be the real telling of the tale.

Virtual memory prices have gone up slightly in the last few weeks -- but then, what hasn't:laugh:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Albinus would probably be the best to give an answer on this as he was havin' kittens over the temps when he 1st got his P4. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

LOL
            Poor Al, he was having baby mountain lions:laugh:

But he got comfortable after he checked out what temps other folks were running.

Comment

Yeah so don't let anyone tell ya that AMD is the only one to make CPU's that ya can cook with. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                As far as those Idle temps go, why is there a 4 degree increase at all? Is the core voltage contributing to that?
                I mean, idle is idle, as in not much taking place. What are your temps at 100% CPU load? That would be the real telling of the tale.
                well, 2.61ghz very stable right now, 1.85vcore (up 0.35 from default 1.5vcore)....my idle temps are around 49ºC and my load temps peak are around 57C; whereas the load average is closer to 55ºC

Thanks a lot for all your help guys

Comment

You did all the work cHeEsY327 we were just here for the stimulating conversation you provided for us:thumb:

Sounds like your doing just fine. Big 'attaboy to you dude:D

Comment

also ppl, keep in mind that diferent mobos and bioses all have irregularities on reporting temps....use these temps as a rough guidline...for example with my swiftech mcx462 my cpu loads at about mid 40's....my frends has an epox borad and when he has a mcx 462 he was getting sub-40 load temps....:afro:

Comment

Working...
                    X