Disconecting Raid 0 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconecting Raid 0 setup

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can disconnect and reconnect a raid 0 setup without losing all my data. I want to format a different single drive as master, but I already have a pair of drives running in the raid config. I am using the Highpoint 370 controller on my Epox8K7A+.

If there are any other suggestions on being able to make a different drive master without disconnecting the raid drives, I would be open to that as well.

Thx
    JM:afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Yes, I would bet that this is very simple.

I have never set up a raid controller to be the MAIN bootable drive, (as I assume you would select it in the bios somehow to boot to it?) If you did that, then Just unplug the PCI card, as well as the power cords to the drives.

Hang on, 8k7a+... does that have on board raid?

No matter, even if it does, then just disconnect the IDE cables that your raid drives are connected to the mobo with. (you can leave the IDE cables plugged into the drives if you want, just disconnect from the mobo) Change your bios settings as you would for a normal computer. (just remember to change them back when you want to boot from the Raid drives)

I have not done this, but I would say there is a 98% chance that there will be no problems doing as i instruct. If the drives are not powered and disconnected, the mobo and other cards won't be affected at all, in fact they won't even recognize or remember the difference. As soon as you hook the raid drives back up, they will act as if nothing had changed.

My basis for making this conclution is just being able to disconnect any main drive, and using the hardware in the system for another purpose (such as formatting a drive, or whatever) and then hooking up the original drive, and booting just fine.

Does that answer your question?

Has anyone done what I suggest and had success.?

Comment

Working...
    X