Brand new Comp crashing when gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new Comp crashing when gaming

After three years we've finally managed to save up and buy a gaming computer for my son, however day 3 and it crashed when he installed Half Life 2. I was up all night trying to find a cause, scanned it defragged it, all the othet layman things I could think of to no avail. It's an Athlon 64 dual core processor 4200+ with an NVidia Geforce 7900 GC and a 164GB Hard drive. So it should work. Shouldn't it? Any help much appreciated!

Bev

Re: Brand new Comp crashing when gaming

It only crashes when just installing HL2. What about when you install another game.

Comment

Did you have any other programs running while trying to install? That could lead to something. How much ram does your son's computer have? Looking through some of the specs, it looks that it should be around 1 to 2 gigs. Anyway, your ram could be holding back the installation and grinding things to a halt.

When it crashed, did it leave an error message? If so, try to look up the error code number on the Windows website. Did the crash erase everything? If it didn't, it might just have been a hiccup during installation.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bev View Post
        After three years we've finally managed to save up and buy a gaming computer for my son, however day 3 and it crashed when he installed Half Life 2. I was up all night trying to find a cause, scanned it defragged it, all the othet layman things I could think of to no avail. It's an Athlon 64 dual core processor 4200+ with an NVidia Geforce 7900 GC and a 164GB Hard drive. So it should work. Shouldn't it? Any help much appreciated!

Bev
        start by updating windows, video drivers, chipset, sound and also DirectX. Does it crash in all the games?

Comment

maybe you don't have enough virtual memory, but maybe your comp doesn't need a lot during installation, I just wanna throw it out there, I had a problem when loading maps in BF2 and that solved it.

Comment

Working...
          X