PDA

View Full Version : Playing DivX and Xvid content on Xbox 360 - An easy guide!

Comment Bot
12-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "Playing DivX and Xvid content on Xbox 360 - An easy guide! (www.tweaktown.com/articles/1002)"

nuvru
01-21-2007, 05:34 PM
OMG thanks so much for this article! After reading it and downloading tversity I was up and running within a half an hour. Totally works just as you said. Tversity rocks my socks off! Again,, thanks a bunch!

Mr.Tweak
01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
OMG thanks so much for this article! After reading it and downloading tversity I was up and running within a half an hour. Totally works just as you said. Tversity rocks my socks off! Again,, thanks a bunch!

I'm glad it's working well for you :smilies13

therider
01-22-2007, 09:42 PM
hi please can somebody help server seems to be working but switches off after a few seconds anybody got any idea why it does this thanks

Mr.Tweak
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
hi please can somebody help server seems to be working but switches off after a few seconds anybody got any idea why it does this thanks

Sometimes it does this and I'm not sure exactly why. A couple solutions - reboot your PC (and turn off and on Xbox). Also check that your transcoder settings are not too high for your PC or network.

Also try playing a different video and you may just be having an issue with a certain file.

CColtManM
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
This will help some friends of mine with XboX's and XviD's... Thanks!

imagenyuss
01-25-2007, 12:39 PM
I got through everything up to page five to work fine...but, come page five, the xbox isn't seeing my computer. I checked http://localhost:41952 and I can see the server fine. My router has open ports. The xbox can see other computers on the network, just not TVersity. The comp I'm on is MCE 2005 so I disconnected the xbox from this also, but to no avail. TVersity still does not show up. Any ideas?
Thanks

Mr.Tweak
01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
I got through everything up to page five to work fine...but, come page five, the xbox isn't seeing my computer. I checked http://localhost:41952 and I can see the server fine. My router has open ports. The xbox can see other computers on the network, just not TVersity. The comp I'm on is MCE 2005 so I disconnected the xbox from this also, but to no avail. TVersity still does not show up. Any ideas?
Thanks

On your Xbox console, did you run the network test to make sure everything is setup correctly? Turn your Xbox and PC on and off a couple of times and you might have more luck.

Ivory
01-26-2007, 01:13 AM
HI!
First off,Thanks for the great guide!

Im having some trouble though..everything seems to be working just fine,the TVersity shows up on my xbox but when i go to the video section in my xbox non of the movies i've added to my libray shows up,instead there are like 1000's of gametrailer videos.

Any ideas of what i should do/could be doing wrong??

Thanks!!

Mr.Tweak
01-26-2007, 02:09 AM
HI!
Im having some trouble though..everything seems to be working just fine,the TVersity shows up on my xbox but when i go to the video section in my xbox non of the movies i've added to my libray shows up,instead there are like 1000's of gametrailer videos.

Are you sure you are looking at your networked PC and not your 360 HDD with trailers that you've downloaded?

Ivory
01-26-2007, 02:41 AM
yes im sure,i dont have anything but game demos and savefiles on my hdd.....im 100%sure its my pc im connected to,but the wierd thing is dont have any of those trailers on my computer...

DEVILS30M
01-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey i got eveything connected and when i go to my xbox and select the file and hit play it freezes everytime and when i check my computer i have a message saying "MediaServer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." and i have to end the program. Any suggestions?

jcwillia
01-28-2007, 01:47 AM
HI!
First off,Thanks for the great guide!

Any ideas of what i should do/could be doing wrong??

Thanks!!

this is tversity's native media library, Advanced -> Recreate Media Library should clear all that out.

jcwillia
01-28-2007, 01:49 AM
ok, tried this multiple times...can't make it work.

Everything works exactly as described right up to the part where I hit play and then the 360 gives me an error message that the file type is not supported.

It's an h.264 convert of a .tivo file that works fine on my ipod and in windows media player 11.

Really not sure what the deal is but it's kind of annoying to get that far and then have it poop out on ya.

edit : wmv works fine, still can't make the h.264 work.

jcwillia
01-28-2007, 03:58 AM
found my own solution in another forum :

this FIXED my issue!

"In case you get the message unplayable content (and you can play it in WMP11) then you could try the following. Rename the file to 'X' and copy in a directory C:\ test. Add to TVersity en check if you can play it with youur Xbox.

You'll find on a number of postings that TVersity has some issues with 'deep folders', I found it also has some issues with certain file names. I don't know where it has a hickup - but just try it and enjoy.

I was watching a series and certain (especially files with a long name) epsidos were 'Unplayable Content', comparison with Gspot proved that a file I could play and one I couldn't where exactly the same (not duration of course) . Since they were in the same directory the problem of 'deep directories' didn't came into the picture - renaming the file to X (or something short) --> no problem.

I have tested now over 100 files of very different origin and making (all playable with WMP11) and have to say, TVersity has played them all as well (no exception!)

Thank you to the makers of TVersity and the wonderfull moderators and other helpfull people on this forum!

Just give a reply if this was helpfull to you - THX

KUDOS
Camouflage"

DEVILS30M
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey thanks for this tutorial everything is working now. Just one thing, is it possible to get the rewind/fast forward features to work while your watching something?

tversity_noob
02-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Has anyone gotten Tversity to stream from Vista to the 360?

Mr.Tweak
02-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Has anyone gotten Tversity to stream from Vista to the 360?

Yes, worked for me.

cytexone
02-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

I got everything working including connecting it via Music to the media server. Only problem I'm having now is it's only showing the video's stored on the xbox 360 not videos on the network. How can I change this?

Thanks so much

Mordith
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I followed the guide and everything worked and I can access all my music and pictures but when I go to video I don't see any of the videos on the network. It only shows what I have on my xbox hard drive. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

themaster001
02-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I got through everything up to page five to work fine...but, come page five, the xbox isn't seeing my computer. I checked http://localhost:41952 and I can see the server fine. My router has open ports. The xbox can see other computers on the network, just not TVersity.

Hey
I have exactly the same problem!

With windows media connect all works fine, but the xbox isn't seeing the computer when tversity is installed!
The localhost 41952 thing works fine and I have media connect completly deleted!

Any idea?

tslewis
02-11-2007, 06:18 AM
This Tweak Will Not Work Unless You Install Ffdshow. You Must Have This For The Tweak To Work.

fellowsuk
02-13-2007, 05:26 AM
ok so iv got everything working right up untill the point i press play on one of my films, now my pc keeps working with e divx logo flashing up in my toolbar every 10 or so seconds and my 360 just freezes/ crashes!?! iv left it for 5 min and still no movie! help guys! nothing seems to happen on my pc except the odd cpu usage jumps u down while im waiting for the film to load? this sorta question was asked before, so i really hope somone knows the answer.

bones138
02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
if you are getting error messages that say you have been disconected and all sorts iof other crap when you try to play them on the xbox go to this site follow these directions it turns out your divx codecs are somehow interfering and you need to reinstall windows media player 11 as well as ALL of your codecs, there are detailed instructions here:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=3611&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

it worked for me when i had just about given up and it seems it can fix other problems as well. i hope this might help save some people time from searching all over the internet!

Intrepid
02-15-2007, 06:35 AM
hmm.. I've installed TVeristy and it's working OK, I can see music and pics... problem is videos , on my Xbox it says "view videos from the xbox harddrive" on both music and pics I get the option to connect to the computer and the TVeristy server but not when trying to access the video folder .. it only displays the local (the videos on the xbox) .. how do I fix this? (ofcourse I've shared videos in all types of formats in the tversity program and restarted the server and xobx several times)

Thanks for any help you could give me..

-Intrepid

Intrepid
02-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Are you sure you are looking at your networked PC and not your 360 HDD with trailers that you've downloaded?

So how do I change this? I only see local files... I dont see an option of viewing videos from the pc (pics and music works fine though)

Intrepid
02-15-2007, 06:40 AM
I followed the guide and everything worked and I can access all my music and pictures but when I go to video I don't see any of the videos on the network. It only shows what I have on my xbox hard drive. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

got the very same problem! Please tell me if you solved it!

Intrepid
02-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Solved the problem with the video files not showing!
The XBOX needed an update which it did when I tried connecting to the xbox marketplace...

-Intrepid

Shadow007
02-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I disconnect computer via systems. When I go into medis - music - computer - have you installed media sharing software = yes
It then jut picks up my pc as it did when i did install the www.xbox.com/pcsetup (http://www.xbox.com/pcsetup) file.
I can't seem to get the TVersity up on my xbox360
It is installed on pc ok and has the cool blue tv icon near the clock.
Anyone, please help:Peace!:

Shadow

Geluc
02-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Hello,

Firstly, excellent guide, took some time and tweaking but got it sorted, and it's much better then the Media Centre I had on Vista (basically, it would only show photos, no video and no music through it)

Any ways, I do have the problem that the TVersity does work, but if I turn off the computer and 360, on the next boot, I can only get it working again by un-installing and then re-installing it. I have had to do it every time now.

If I don't, I the settings all seem to be there, but TVersity seems to stop working, and the 360 cannot connect to the computer again. So I have un-install, re-install and reboot before it all connects again.

Any help please and thank you! :)

Khmerguy231
02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I've followed everything perfectly until page 5. The Xbox could find my computer, however it can't find the TVERSITY on ______. Getting a bit frustrated. -_- Can anyone help?

Maattee1
02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
everything work fine until im going to start a video its says that
the connection broke and my computer is off. But my computer is on and
is working fine.
Any help??

babyfacev2
02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I've followed everything perfectly until page 5. The Xbox could find my computer, however it can't find the TVERSITY on ______. Getting a bit frustrated. -_- Can anyone help?

i'm having exactly the same problem.

i have it all allowed in my firewall etc etc, theres no media center / pc connected or no software on my computer, but it finds my computer bot not TVersity !

Help please .. ?

dabomb691
02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
same thing is happening to me.. I did absolutely everything instructed but it just doesn't see the TVersity. went through the troubleshooting of the TVersity site and still not working. AHHH :(

reyhan12
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I have successfully done all the steps. I can play videos on my xbox 360 but the videos are upside down. Does anyone know the solution to this problem?
Thanks

Z3roCoo1
03-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Cant get this to work either.

I have done all of the steps and everything seems to be working fine but the 360 wont recognize TVersity. Only recognizes my desktop with MP11 installed. Friend did this and it works just fine.

Really frustrating and no one seems to have a solution.

Could the fact that I am connecting the 360 wirelessly have anything to do with it??? Like I said, Music with MP11 works fine, but it wont even recognize TVersity.

Any and all help really appreciated.

lima_beans
03-14-2007, 10:24 AM
This simply does not work for me. Everything goes perfectly up until step 5. My xbox will not see any computers marked as being shared.

Ive followed all the steps very carefully, the server is setup just fine, and port forwarding is working, and I can see if on my computer if I go to the URL. Also my Xbox is networked correctly as i can access LIVE, I can launch XNA games, and if I install an extender, I can use Windows Media Center just fine. after disconnecting the extender, I just cannot see the TV server.

anyone have any kind of troubleshooting for this? Ive noticed 4 or 5 comments with no answers with the same problem =(

ThatXBGuy
03-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I had a similar problem to many of you that I had followed the instructions, could see the server in a browser (locally and remotely) and couldn't see it on the XBox.

To fix it, all I did was go to "Settings --> General Settings" in TVersity and click "Restart Sharing". After that, I was able to see it.

I'm running Vista Ultimate, BTW and I couldn't get Transcode360 to work without crashing. :/

Thanks for this guide in general, it's quite good.

aphex187
03-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Im having the same prob in that my 360 can see my PC yet it will not detect TVersity. Ive tried going into General settings and clicked on restart sharing but nothing, zilch!

below is a post i made on TV's web site.

installed win11

installed TVersity_Setup_0_9_9_2

installed this Download [ FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2007-03-13 ]

opened up TVersity, gone to File at the top and added my film. I have not touched anything else in TVersity and my film is sat in the white area.

Now i have connected my 360 up to my pc with the supplied ethernet cable and started my xbox up. It wouldn't find it at first but i messed about with it and got my music up and my pictures but when i went into video it didn't find anything?

This is what has stumped me, any1 help.

I have to unplug my internet connection then i plug the 360 ethernet cable into my pc which runs to my 360, having it like this means i am not online (will this matter!?)

cheers.

OSUnumber45
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I've done everything in this tutorial and I can't get my 360 to recognize TVersity. I've tried restarting my PC, my 360, refreshed sharing, etc. When my 360 checks for computer to connect to it only recognizes my desktop computer. It doesn't recognize my laptop (which is where I have TVersity installed). Is there a way to get my 360 to recognize only my laptop? This is much appreciated. Thank you.

Brett10
03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok, I know this is not exactly the correct place to post this but, I cant find anyone else to help me. When I was trying to foward my ports on my router to allow Tversity to do its thing. But it wont allow me to accomplish this without a LAN sever. What is the LAN sever? Is it just my IP adress or my static IP adress? I very much need your help as I am in way over my head!

bedpunisher
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Can anybody help me set up Tversity the music plays flawlessly but when it comes to the videos i can't get nothing to play. I have k-lite mega codec installed along with WMP 11. So can anybody tell how to get the videos to play

OSUnumber45
03-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Can anybody help me set up Tversity the music plays flawlessly but when it comes to the videos i can't get nothing to play. I have k-lite mega codec installed along with WMP 11. So can anybody tell how to get the videos to play

Is your connection wirelss? If so you might not have a fast enough router to play movies.

ausbox
04-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Same problem as others....everything looks fine....

XBOX 360 can't see the server.

I had normal media sharing working before. That is all disabled now....Not sure what else to do.

tslewis
04-04-2007, 05:46 AM
You Must Have Ffdshow Installed To Get This To Work. The Guide Does Not Tell You This. I Had Numerable Problems And It Would Not Work Until I Installed Ffdshow.

Also, Before Running Tversity Make Sure You Have Disconnected From Any Previous Computer Connections In The Xbox 360 Dashboard. Go To Settings Computer< Disconnect Computer. Go To Your Computer Switch On Tversity Allow Sharing And Then Go Back To Xbox360. Go To Xbox Media On Dashboard And Select Computer (not Media Center Pc) You Should See Options For Windows Media Player Pc And Tversity Pc. Select Tversity Pc And Wait For Minute Or So For Streaing To Start. I Am Using A Wirlessly Connected Xbox And It Works Fine Provided You Turn The Down The Streaming Quality.

nuarbffej
04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I have done all that has been required and that includes installing Ffdshow, and my 360 still hasn't detected TVercity.

I'm really at a loss here having done everything I do that normally works shutting off firewall, etc....

jamie090989
04-06-2007, 09:41 AM
same here, i've done everything required and it still isn't working!!
Wot settings are you meant to use when setting up FFdShow or Tversity?
Is there anything i could have done wrong there?

Thanks a lot

mycoolgamername
04-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I was having the exact same problems. I am running 32-bit vista business ed. I went into the control panel and then to the windows firewall. I added a port (the default port 41952) for the tversity and then I also added the program file .exe. After that I restarted my pc and xbox and it detected the server on my xbox. Now I am just trying to get the codecs right so my xbox will play my divx movies.

mycoolgamername
04-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I would also like to add the picture of the linksys router port says "49152" THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT PORT THE SOFTWARE USES BY DEFAULT!

It uses "41952". I think that can be the root of some of your problems.

jamie090989
04-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I finallly got my xbox to find TVersity, but when i try and play a video it just crashes everytime no matter which video it is.
Any sugestions?
Thanks in advance

nuarbffej
04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
What did you do to get your 360 to detect TVercity jamie090989?

urabewe
04-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Ok for those of you STILL having trouble with your Xbox seeing your Tversity server.

I messed with the settings till I came up with the easiest solution in the world, you will all smack your heads when you read this.

Ok open Tversity
Stop Sharing
Go to settings/general/home network
Change the port from the default to "2869" (this is a port that the Xbox looks at to see if there is a server I found this out from doing a connection test and reading the info on the computer tab)
Start Sharing
Go to your Xbox, disconnect your pc if it is connected if not, go to video, computer, select yes continue, you should see Tversity waiting with all it's glory.

Hope this helps, if you need a more indepth description leave a post and I'll do my best.

If it doesn't work for you, sorry, it worked for me no problems.

urabewe
04-10-2007, 02:14 AM
A few more tips.

If your video is upside down, check the settings on your codec, if you don't know how to do this, look it up on google, or ask around.

If you can't get some videos to play, it might be because you have installed a codec pack, packs usually just cause interference and problems. Download codecs as you need them, if you need divx download divx or xvid, if you need ac3 filter, download the ac3 filter.

It seems the Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/) gave me some problems, I was running fine until I installed this and then I got the "lost connection" warning on my Xbox and the media server had to be restarted, uninstalling seems to have fixed it.

Let me know if this works for you guys.

txdude
04-21-2007, 02:07 PM
@urabewe

Thanks. Solved it for me. I'm gonna have to put this in a wiki somewhere as this was hard to find.

midknight
04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
I managed to stream divx and vob files with ease. however, when i add a video url, it is not showing up on my xbox.any ideas?

urabewe
04-27-2007, 03:42 PM
@txdude

No problem, glad it helped you.
----------------------------------------

midknight, you know, that's the funny thing I couldn't get a Video URL to work either, I did however get RSS Video feeds to work, one was from VH1, one was from SFSTV, and Comedy Central.

It worked great for a few days, I was starting to figure it out, when it works you will see the list of videos on your video list (which is a pain considering VH1 has 107 of them and no way to only show a few at a time) this is the part that I was stumped at for a while. When it works, TVersity will only download however many videos you tell it to in the RSS settings, but it will show ALL the videos the RSS feed has.

If you want to view a video that hasn't downloaded yet when you click on it the Xbox will give you a "Connection Lost" notice, BUT!!!! (OMG), TVersity starts downloading that video from the feed, so if you wait maybe play a song or a game of Call of Duty, and come back, your video will be waiting for you ready to be played.

Now like I said it worked for a few days, then all of a sudden the videos just stopped downloading, it wouldn't play ones that were already downloaded, only ones that I had already watched before and were already converted, then it stopped doing that.

Hopefully in future releases they will address the RSS problem because I can't figure out why the hell it stopped and I really like the SFSTV and Comedy Central feeds they were great.

Oh yeah, also when you first put your RSS feed into TVersity you have to wait for the circle in the top right corner to stop spinning and you also have to wait for the little refresh symbol next to your feed to turn BLACK not GREY or GRAY either usually lasts until it downloads the number of videos in the RSS settings.

Once the symbol is black, and there is no spinning circle in the top right corner the vidoes should be on the Xbox.

(whew) Anyway hope that helps... hahahaha yeah ok good luck man.

midknight
04-27-2007, 07:58 PM
urabewe (http://forums.tweaktown.com/member.php?u=37850) , many thanks for that!! awesome stuff - and i sure will try it out. if u get anywhere with the url links please do let me know.

btw, does it stream avi and mpeg files?

NosNo2
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
i now have it on my x360 but when i play a video file the screen just goes black anyone got any ideas:beerchug:

TylerBC
05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I had tversity up and working on my xbox on may 8th. then the next day i came home and tried it again and i can still see tversity but it says i have no videos in my file, which is untrue. that was the same day there was an update for xboxlive. Does anybody know how to get it up and working so i can see my files?

Ellemann357
05-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Got the very same problem... But ive never had it up & running...:grenade:

urabewe
05-14-2007, 07:31 AM
For those of you that don't know, yes the new update did in fact make tversity not work, it wasn't a big problem, just the way that video files show up on the xbox now. They put folder options for videos which isn't what tversity was set up for.

If you got to the tveristy website and download the latest version (http://tversity.com/download/) then go here (http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?t=5099) download the patch and follow all instructions and you'll be up and running again in now time, now with folders... coooooool

Also I have had no luck in getting the URLs to work again since the new update tveristy team needs to also check the code in the URL section, seems the update has made the play button on internet videos non responsive.

nathan dayspring
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Im wondering if anybody can help me with this one, been streaming with tversity for some time now with no issues until the other day I came to find that the xbox 360 can't find my streamed videos! It can find my music just fine. my pics also but not my videos! Ive downloaded the xbox live update needed. Ive refreshed my library turned thecomputer off and on the 360 off and on nothing seems to work short of uninstalling and reinstalling tversity, which im afraid I'll never get it working again.

eddington
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
help!

tried the suggestion made by urabewe (chaging port so 360 would recognise)
but when i try to restart sharing it wont. it only allows sharing with the otriginal port number
any ideas or solutions?

eddington
05-25-2007, 02:23 AM
ive finally managed to get tversity recognised on the 360. added vis and theyve been recognised. trouble is when i come to play an avi movie i get a 'unsupported media' message from the xbox. either that or connection lost.

can anyone help? thanks in advance (im soooooo close)

urabewe
05-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Eddington

Check your encoder settings, make sure encode only when needed is checked, try unchecking encode as fast as possible, do you have ffdshow installed, is it setup correctly, check your codecs, you have to have the correct codecs

Basically if a video can play in WMP then it should be able to play through tversity, check any and ALL settings there are between your PC and your XBOX such as the ones stated above and

n3ro
05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Ok So I was reading over these comments (while at work ;) ) so I hope that I didn't over look anything. I am able to see my comp from the Xbox menu, I am able to access music, and see pictures. However, when I go to videos, it says that there are no videos. I have made sure that the library is shared (which also includes the music that i can see) and I am also able to see if from the local host and watch them, as well as through WMP11. I saw something on here about a "deep" folder so I am going to try to change that. Any other thoughts as to why I can see music, pics, but not the movies??????

Thanks

n3ro
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
And I just installed the patch.

Butt
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Pakistan Property (http://www.zameen.com) | Wholesale Suppliers (http://www.dailytrader.com)
Wholesale Canadian Directory (http://www.wholesale-canada.com) | All UK Wholesalers (http://www.uk-wholesaler.co.uk)

princesabin
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I've been having problems with certain files. It freezes the TVersity server and causes it to crash.

They are DIVX avi files, but other DIVX files work fine.

I moved the files to their own directory as someone advised, and even changed the names to make the names of the files much smaller.

I have changed the settings to allow it to take as much time as possible to encode.

I have the latest version of TVersity, I believe that means I do not need to patch it, correct?

I have ffdshow, is there any special way I need to set it up to make it work properly?

Is it possible that I need to delete all of the codecs and then reinstall them one at a time?