XP 1700+: Buy now or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 1700+: Buy now or wait?

Is now a good time to buy a new motherboard and XP processor? I've been absent from, "I know the latest hardware crowd" for almost a year that I don't even know what PC3000 memory is.

I have a budget of $150 and I want to get at least a XP 1700+. Whatever is left is for the motherboard.

You wanna get an XP CPU, mobo and RAM with $150? Ain't gonna happen. You're not gonna be able to purchase a mobo with what's left from the purchase of that XP. If $150 is your budget for an XP system, hold off, cuz you can't get it (legally).

Comment

With a $US150 budget, you'll be limited to the Duron range. You should be able to get a Duron 1.2Ghz plus motherboard for that.

Comment

Which isn't too bad, concidering you can upgrade to an XP later... :thumb:

Comment

THe XP 1700+ is around $80 and I'm looking at a $50 mobo that supports PC133 and DDR memories; this was I don't have to buy new rams. I'm just wondering if the prices will go down any time soon. Isn't there a new processor coming out this summer, or is it next year?

Comment

Don't skimp on mobos..............

Comment

some of the ECS MB's with the SIS chipset support both PC133 & DDR Ram (not similtaneously)...they're pretty cheap too, although they don't have the greatest OC'ing features

I've never owned one personally - but I have heard good things...

Comment

I won't be overclocking since I can't take the risk of blowing a XP 1700+. With the Duron 700 I currently have, I readily beat it whenever I feel like it. It's only $30.:zzz:

Comment

Well if ya want that CPU I wouldn't leave it to long as some places here are no longer stocking it and as for the ECS K7S5A board which supports both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, it maybe a budget item but it's quick though budget PSU's will give ya nothing but headaches with it either straight away or a little later on. :smokin:
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i would hold off on the wallet until you have a bit more to work with.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                      X