IDE cables, adding hard drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE cables, adding hard drive

Added a CD-RW to my computer finally, but had to unhook my CDRom to do so, since I was out of IDE connectors. I'd like to have both hooked up, and I was hoping to get another hard drive as well. Is it possible to "daisy chain" IDE cables, or can I buy one with more connectors on it? The same goes for the power cords, I'm out of connectors and can't hook up anything new. Do I need a controller card for this? I was looking at a $21 EIDE harddisk controller on compusa.com. Would this solve my problem? And can this controller only handle hard drives (assuming so by the name?), or could I hook up other devices like a CDrom to it? Thanks in advance for any help.

OK.. First of all, each IDE cable is capable of running two (2) IDE devices at once, maximum. So if your cable has three connectors on it (one to the motherboard, the other two to devices) then that's all you can have on that cable. Some cables are missing one of the connectors, so if that's the case then you simply just need to get a cable with the extra connector.

Sorry, but you can't actually daisy chain IDE devices. That's for SCSI devices only. For power cords, you can simply get a a couple cable-splitters (Y-shaped cable) to give you a couple more connections. An EIDE controller card would help hook up more devices, but sometimes these can be a little fiddly to get set up, depending on your Operating System. As far as I know, you can still use other IDE devices on these, not just hard drives...

Hope that helped.

Comment

Helps a lot, thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X