refresh rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refresh rate

I have just installed XP on a PIII 500mhz, 384 RAMmachine. I only have a 8mb bob-standard 3d card. The windows, scrolloing within explorer seems to be very sluggish. Is this because of the 8Mb card or is it a XP problem with the 384 RAM ???

It will more than likely be the processor that is slowing you down in this case. Microsoft recommends a minimum of a 300MHz processor, so you should at least double that speed for a system that will handle the OS with anything resembling ease.

The amount of memory will be fine, and the video card should not be a problem since you're not using anything that is 3d intensive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yes I had this problem to when I 1st started using XP on mine but found that if ya turn of most of the "Candyeye" features such as icon, mouse pointer and menu shadowing and a few other unnecessary options which can be found in this article on the 2nd page (also worth it to read the lot ;) ) which once done certainly speeds up the feel of the system. I was a bit concerned with XP ay 1st when it felt like I was tryin' to pull the mouse pointer thru treacle. :eek:

Comment

I believe that XP is able to cope with up to 2 Gigs of RAM.

Will someone please verify - or correct - that statement:confused:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yeah 2 gb all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by [size=7
            Mr. C[/size]]
            I believe that XP is able to cope with up to 2 Gigs of RAM.

Will someone please verify - or correct - that statement:confused:
            Well actually it will handle up to 4gigs from what I know. :smokin:

Comment

nah, just turn off the eyecandy, i have XP running on a k6-2 300 w/256 and no lag, the video is like a 4mb PCI...lol

Comment

Working...
              X