• Show
Clear All

• The file NTFS.sys is corrupt HELP

yesterday i built up a new computer for myself
    xp1800+
    epox8kha
    256ddr

i ran up windows xp and everything was running fine i installed
    quake III to give it a test it then locked up and when i rebooted it come up with

THE FOLLOWING FILE IS CORRUPT NTFS.sys
    so i re ran setup and formated it etc etc and alli can get during setup is this NTFS.sys error

any help would be great thanx

leigh

Fdisk the drive again seein' as it came up again after the format. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i have re fdisked the drive 2 times now...

maybe its a virus in the first sectors of the drive
      i downloaded a program from seagate so i will try zero
      filling the drive on my lunch break..

i hope this fix's the problem i cant think of wat else would be causing it.

anymore suggestions would be grea tho please

thanks

leigh

Comment

What "fdisk" are you using??? The only one I know of that works on NTFS partitions (other than 3rd party ones like partition magic)is the NT partition manager with win NT or 2K or XP install progs.

The old standard fdisk for Win 9X/ME will not adjust NTFS partitions at all.

I have had to recommence the install and use the repartition manager with the install to overcome a NTFS file probs.

Comment

i used partition magic

i also tryed zero filling the drive but that didnt make any difference at all.
          i tryed another hdd in the machine and it didnt load either so it cant be the hdd.

all i can think it could be now is motherboard/cpu/memory as i have replaced and tested every other part.

Comment

Overclocked at all?
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

nope not at all running at standard 1800+ speed

even tried it running at around 1100 mhz with no joy

Comment

Try fdisk with DOS 5 or lower as these won't recognise FAT32 or NTFS file partitions and will report as non-recognisable but will do a better job at unmounting them than DOS 6 and above will and will leave some stuff behind.
                Also try doing some looping tests with Memtest86 as the problem maybe that your system memory maybe causing the errors (I've came across this a few times to which I've slow memory speed down to get rid of the errors) and it just runs from a floppy in the way a bootdisk does. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i tried the hard drive in another machine and it loads up fine without any hassles so the problem isnt related to the HDD

must be memory or motherboard dunno kepp the suggestions coming they are well appreciated.

leigh

Comment

Working...
                  X