PDA

View Full Version : Sata HDD Woes

tild99
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Well here goes....

I picked up a Hitachi Deskstar 400GB Sata drive, and for the life of me I cannot get it formatted.

It is recognized by my BIOS and by Windows in the Device Manager.
But it is does not show up in My Computer or Explorer. I have tried it on another computer which is also running XP. Exact same problem. Windows recognizes the device but does not allow me to access or format it. :angryfire

Does anyone have any idea's how I could get around this little problem.

Thanks,
Andrew

Darthtanion
02-13-2007, 11:24 PM
You have to create partition(s) on the new drive. Windows can only format an active partition. If you right-click MY COMPUTER and choose MANAGE, you will see an option called DISK MANAGEMENT. In the bottom right window you should see your drive if it is properly installed. Right-clicking the empty drive will allow you to create partitions on the empty space. Then Windows will be able to format the partitions and assign them drive letters.

tild99
02-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Wow I feel like a bit of an idiot.

Thanks for the quick reply, everything is up and running smoothly now. :beerchug:

Thank you very much,
Andrew

Kheldar
02-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Wow I feel like a bit of an idiot.

Thanks for the quick reply, everything is up and running smoothly now. :beerchug:

Thank you very much,
Andrew

nah your only an idiot if you have to be told the same thing over and over and over again