SB Live problem in XP Pro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB Live problem in XP Pro.

I am using a Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer with Altec Lansing 4100 speakers in Windows XP Professional, and I am getting crackling sounds out of my speakers even at very low volumes. The sound is similar to the one you get if you use cheap speakers at very high volumes. I have tried adjusting the mixer settings but it didn't help. Is this just a driver problem with XP, and if so is there a patch to fix it?
    Thanks

Your full system specs would be very helpful to start with thanx. :smokin:
    <center> </center>

Comment

Here are my full system Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 1800
      Asus A7V266/e
      512MB Micron PC2100 DDRRAM
      Asus V8200 Ti200
      SB Live X-Gamer
      Creative Labs 12X DVD Encore
      Plextor 40X12X40X
      3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card
      2X 80GB IBM 120GXP Hard Drives in RAID 0
      LianLi PC65 Aluminum Case
      Viewsonic VX500 LCD

Comment

Ok then do ya have the latest BIOS and VIA 4 in 1's installed?
        Did ya setup the system 1st with only the video card installed and no other cards plus have onboard extras disabled?
        Did ya load the VIA 4 in 1's as soon as the OS was installed and then the latests drivers for the video then each other onboard extra and expansion card one at a time?
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

also, what SB drivers are you using?

Comment

Sorry to say, but there is no real fix.

It has to do with your PCI bus bandwidth pushed to the max. Do you have your FSB up high?
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Dont' think you have to bother with the old via driver bollocks process any more Wiggo, that was a problem with MVP3 and Apollo 133 chipsets only as far as I know.

Comment

It went well past them till the 4.36 4in1's came out though some m/b makers still bundled earlier versions with their products and installin' drivers in the wrong order will still bring this prob up plus I'm informed that 4.34 is the version packed with XP. :smokin:

Comment

I had the Sound Blaster Live... I lived with the crackling noise for about a year until I got my Santa Cruz sound card.. No crackles no more

Hell, for 45 bucks it is a damn good card.....way better than my live!

Comment

Am I the only person around here with a VIA based motherboard and a SoundBlaster Live! with no problems at all? :confused:
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

lol...consider yourself lucky!

Comment

Albinus I've never had that prob since the 4.36 4in1's were released but then I think it all boils down to how ya setup the system and disablin' DOS emulation is part of it with the SB Lives. :smokin:

Comment

Just my useless and biased opinion, but I truly believe the best part of the development of the SB Live occured in the Marketing Dept.

If the product lived up to the hype, they would rule. :D
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well i have had the SB and th Via's and the only problam i had was that the SB DID NOT like a o'c :no: so i sayed screw this and went to my onboard sound when i got a diffrent mobo and it runs fine, but i did take the SB out an dit o'c like a mfer :flames: But also i knwo a guy that has had the smae problams as you but he did it all by turned his speakers up to load all the time, so he went to fix it and he screwed everythign up got his sounds to work funny so i went it and got them all fixed but he still has a crackle to this day.

Comment

Ive got the same problem, in windows XP it crackles like crazy, and i almost pull my hair out when i heard it, cos i thought my speakers where f**ked, i have a bose system, in my room, and the very thought of that screwing up is a nightmare, concidering how much they cost, but i also have 98 on my computer as well, and it doesnt crackle for that? ive got the latest drivers for my system, but it still does it. im guessing it must be a windaz XP problem since it works fine in 98.

bloody MS!

Comment

Working...
                              X