What not to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to buy

OK, something different people. Post stuff which people SHOULDN'T buy.

#1 - ADSL USB modem if you intend to use it over a network - Don't even bother. Go an Ethernet solution.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Just one thing about this thread:

Give reasons for why not to buy. Don't just say 'Don't get **** because it's crap'. We don't wanna hear personal grudges. We want valid reasons why we shouldn't get the said product.....

Comment

i think the same can be said for all USB modems tweak. we have tried a few USB modems and while they work fine when connected, they disconnect way too much. at least once per hour.

any virus scanner but vet. i'm sure skullshot will back me up here :) vet simply rocks. But mainly i am against norton, i have seen that screw up systems more than it fixes them.

Comment

Dont buy McDonalds at 4am

urgh, you can taste the freezer......*ulp*
        excuse me, I need to take a trip to the bathroom......

Hmmm, come to think of it- dont buy it at all.
        Need I say why?

Realtek network cards are pretty nasty too....

Comment

Don't buy IBM hard drives, cuz they're unreliable and failure prone.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdkiller
            any virus scanner but vet. i'm sure skullshot will back me up here :) vet simply rocks. But mainly i am against norton, i have seen that screw up systems more than it fixes them.
            the three computers we had, 2 have been traded off and 1 remains, all had norton anti-virus 2001.

no problems whatsoever installing, no viruses....no errors...all good, my anti-virus of choice. :) :)

one thing not to buy is a 17" 775n lg monitor...squeeks too much, could be anything though

Comment

There's nothing wrong with buying IBM harddrives, they are quite cheap and I've had a deskstar 60 Gb for some month now and it's working really great and it's quite fast also (ide system in my server). I've read but the problems people have had with them. But as I never use a hardware product no longer than a year anyway I think i don't have to worry... Pls let me know if you disagree and/or think I'm stupid...

:D :D

Comment

Btw, I totally agree with Thoric, Norton antivirus is a great program! I've used the 2001 and now i use the 2002 version, three stopped viruses, and never ever had a problem with it...

Comment

But as I never use a hardware product no longer than a year anyway I think i don't have to worry...
                  Well then you don't really belong in this thread... there aren't many things that won't work for a year.... One reason your purchase was foolish, is when you sell that hard drive, you will either be ripping an unknowing person off, OR you won't get hardly any money out of it, becuase is has NO resale value due to their failure rates.

Comment

ok, this thread is already getting a little out of hand...

OK, so we all know that IBM drives are prone to overheating and failure... but if you actually think about it and get some form of cooling on the drive, they seem to work fine. So in the end it's up to the user how well the drive goes... It's probably the same with some of these complaints.. it's accidental user error.. then again, most probably are genuine..

Comment

Don't spend extra money on one of those "lifetime" floor mats for your workstation.
                      Mine has about 4 large cracks in it. The first appeared in about 18 months.

Man I hate getting my wheels stuck.
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

well alot of people assume that hdds dont need cooling, so they whack em in and thats it...off they go...case cooling is a thought though for the IBM's...:)

i agree with beefy, some are accidential, so many combinations of softwares and hardware...:o

Comment

But one brand of products to stay well away from are OCZ products. Look around as you'll find the original stuff by the propper name. I'll also agree with USB and soft modems plus Maca's. :devil:
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'm using a USB modem at home on my server without a problem. It's been connected for over a week now. I had HEAPS of trouble with the first one which was an Alcatel. Damn thing would only connect 1 out of every 50 tries. I'm using a Dynalink DSL-200 now and it's been really solid.

Comment

About the IBM drives: I had cooling on them, yet one still died.

Comment

Working...
                              X