HDD Clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD Clicks

Hi just got the program WinAVI Video converter on my pc and every time i convert a AVI file(s) to a DVD format my HDD makes a clicking noise at 99% not constantly but at different times, eg.. Some clicks could be right after the other and somtimes its 5 seconds apart... After it has hit 100% and the convertion has stopped and the program has closed my HDD still makes the clicking noise for about another 30 sec... In which every time the HDD clicks my pc stops responding for that split second...
    Any ideas.. Ive used a lot of diagnostic tools for HDDs and mine is in perfect condition as they all say..

Re: HDD Clicks

Without hearing the noise myself I can't say for sure, but generally the only things that causes a clicking sound in a hard drive is the heads attempting to park and failing to do so, so it keeps trying. It is often called the "Click of Death" as it is usually a precursor to the drive dying. If it is only this program that causes the noise, I would tend to dump the program and try something else.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
      Without hearing the noise myself I can't say for sure, but generally the only things that causes a clicking sound in a hard drive is the heads attempting to park and failing to do so, so it keeps trying. It is often called the "Click of Death" as it is usually a precursor to the drive dying. If it is only this program that causes the noise, I would tend to dump the program and try something else.
      Please dont say that my HDD is only 3 months old :(. But as it only clicks when i run WinAVI i will get rid of the program and hopefully my HDD isnt dying

Comment

If it's three months old, backup your data and wait for it to fail. Even OEM drives from 2nd-tier manufacturers have three year warranties in this day and age.

Comment

Working...
        X