• 460w ...not enough

.Just booted up a new server for the first time

Dual Athlon XP's
    Tyan thunder K7X
    4 x 73GB U3 SCSI
    1 IDE drive
    CD, floppy etc.

460w NMB - AMD and Tyan approved power supply

it keeps tripping the breaker on the PS during a cold boot, it seems 460W isn't enough.

If I boot with only 2 or 3 drives I,m alright - and once the drives are warmed up - I can boot with all 4, but if I shut it down and try to start up again an hour later I have the same problem.

I've ordered a 510w Antec power supply, hopefully the extra 10% will solve the problem

the Tyan thunder K7 series uses a 24pin + 8pin power connector, rather than a std. ATX connector - so it's not like I can even use a 650w enermax.

I would have thought a good 460w Ps would have been enough for just about anything :?:

you gonna post some benchmarks for us when you get her fixed up? :)

Comment

Is there an option in the SCSI controller BIOS for "staggered startup"? This is commonly used where power-hungry SCSI drives overload the 12V rail at a cold boot. All it does it stagger the drives so that they boot up in series, not simultaneously. Might be worthwhile to have a look for this option ;)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
        hbidad[/size]]
        you gonna post some benchmarks for us when you get her fixed up? :)
        Don't expect great benchmarks using normal benchmark software as a good single CPU system will usually wipe the floor with them. Only when the 2 CPU's are used with the right software will a dual system show it's worth and they're designed for stability and reliability which also means that memory timings are very conservative and the type of memory needed for these systems also add another factor (ECC) which further slows things down to those found in systems that we normally use. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
          Is there an option in the SCSI controller BIOS for "staggered startup"? This is commonly used where power-hungry SCSI drives overload the 12V rail at a cold boot. All it does it stagger the drives so that they boot up in series, not simultaneously. Might be worthwhile to have a look for this option ;)
          that sounds like the right stuff, I'll have a look....

Comment

I know Adaptec SCSI cards (at least the ones I've used) have this option :?:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Albinus suggestion has helped the problem - although not completely sloved it

I did some research on the PS I'm using - even though it's rated at 460w continuous power..it's essentially set up like two small 230w PS's - there's two separate 12v rails each good for 15A. - instead of a single 12v good for ~30A (typical for most good 500w PS's)

I would assume that if 15A is exceeded on either of the 12v rails the PS would trip out...kind of a crappy design for an AMD/Tyan "approved" PS

I'll try switching some 12v connections around & see if that helps, otherwise - Antec makes a 510v PS with the 24+8 pin connectors and a single 30A. 12v rail - I'll try to get one of those

Comment

A different PSU seems to be in order, it's going to be amps rather than watts that you are after. Even so I've done up servers using Intel's SC5000 chassis which has a 300W PSU (10Amp on the +12V) to run 7 x Ultra3 10000rpm Quantum drives (Adaptec RAID) + DAT etc without any problem. The trouble with your board is of course you don't have much choice with PSU's due to that extra connector. Looking at Maxtor's site their 73gb drives have a peak current draw of 3A on the 12V line (the setup I mentioned had 7x9Gb @ 2.7A each for 18.9A total, way above spec for the PSU), you will be getting max current draw at spin-up but it shouldn't necessarily trip the PSU out. Definitely try another manufacturer's PSU though, the one you got might be dodgy.

Comment

I'm trying to source the Antec 510w right now - the inside sales guy at the Antec USA office was a bit of a dick though......
                  I'll keep looking

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I had great service recently (a courteous e-mail the same day!)

Comment

yeah, antec has always had awesome support, and great service with RMA's for stuff under warranty....

Comment

How 'bout your system fans?

If you are running a few case fans, they can draw quite a bit of juice when starting. (once started they draw very little power)
                        Making or buying a fanbus to control fans (simple on/off switches will suffice) could help if you are running a few extra case fans.
                        That, in conjuntion with the staggered startup option might help a bit more and might save you a few buks on a new PSU.

And damm thats some power hungry maxtor drives. :(

Comment

Working...
                        X